• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is it safe? (Serious Food Safety Question)

Smoke & Beers

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just finished my first marathon smoke on my UDS's in which I did 3 briskets, 4 butts and yes...(ashamed mod) only one Fatty.
I fired them up Saturday morning around 3am.
I started out with the briskets and the Fatty then moved on to the butts, putting them on around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. Three of the butts were done by 9:30 last evening, which I rested for an hour then pulled... but the last one was just a stubborn SOB (Slow Ol' Butt) and had no desire to reach 200*. So with the round of T-storm Warnings and extremely frequent lightning we had last night, I pulled the SOB off the UDS and put him in the oven to finish.
Finally around 12:30 last night he made it to 200* so I yanked him out of the oven and foiled to let him rest...and perhaps a little shut eye for me too. Well, my shut eye lasted for 5 hours...I awoke at 5:15 and realized that I'd slept a little longer than what I wanted too.
I temped the resting SOB and he was at 152* after ~5 hours of resting. THE QUESTION IS...is this SOB still safe to eat since he (we) rested for so long?

Pron to follow later...but I'm going back to bed now.
Thanks in advance for your advice Brothers...

Food Safety Police

I'm about as paranoid as they come when it comes to food safety....

I'd eat it, can I come over for dinner!!

:)

RMR

^^^^^^ Don't kinow what their talking about, that SOB is not edible anymore...

Please send to me for proper disposal! :cool:

OK guys...Thanks for your unamimous answers...with the exception of Bubba...but it was too late...Sorry.
So, here's the promised pron...including the SOB (I'll let you pick him out)
but first, here's my newest fuel basket with the 50% mod...Works great.
IMG_9651.jpg

By the time I got around to pulling the butts late last night, I wasn't in much of a mood for taking pictures... so sorry, no finished product pics of the butts.
Thanks for all the information you guys have given over the last 6 months...I have learned so much from all of you.
Thanks!

Back