Hog Roast Questions

crgshum

Reaction score
Searched this site and the interwebs for tips on whole hog cooking and wow there is a lot out there. Everybody seems to have their own way of doing it though and nobody really explains why they do it that way. A lot of conflicting opinions and I'm sure they all turn out just fine.

I'm doing my first hog roast this weekend and I had some specific questions

I've got a reverse flow smoker that should be plenty big enough to handle the pig (90lbs).

What are the pros and cons to injecting? I'm leaning towards not doing it because I don't normally inject anything else. Any thoughts?

It will be butterflied, but should I do skin up or down or both? Will the meat dry out if I go skin up? Will it be a giant grease bowl if I stick with skin down? Is it even reasonable to think I can pick this thing up off the grate and flip it over halfway through?

What about spritzing or mopping? Again, not something I normally do, but there are mixed opinions out there. I thought about maybe doing one or two mops around the halfway point and letting it go, but that's more work than doing zero mops, so is it worth it?

Finally, foiling the pig. Is that just an appearance thing? Would I need to foil on a RF? Again leaning towards the "simpler is better" camp and not foiling.

Thanks in advance!

What are the pros and cons to injecting? I'm leaning towards not doing it because I don't normally inject anything else. Any thoughts?

-Due to the skin acting as a barrier, the effect of rub and smoke is much less on a whole hog. Injecting helps add flavor and moisture to the meat. Especially the hams which are typically dry in comparison to the shoulder even if you cook it perfect. Google the Chris Lilly pork shoulder injection. make about 2 gallons and get to work

It will be butterflied, but should I do skin up or down or both? Will the meat dry out if I go skin up? Will it be a giant grease bowl if I stick with skin down? Is it even reasonable to think I can pick this thing up off the grate and flip it over halfway through?

Skin down and leave it. it will help act as a bowl to retain moisture. Pooled injection on the loin/tenderloin also helps slow the cooking for those muscles

What about spritzing or mopping? Again, not something I normally do, but there are mixed opinions out there. I thought about maybe doing one or two mops around the halfway point and letting it go, but that's more work than doing zero mops, so is it worth it?

Up to you. If it starts looking dry, go ahead

Finally, foiling the pig. Is that just an appearance thing? Would I need to foil on a RF? Again leaning towards the "simpler is better" camp and not foiling.

Mainly appearance, but also to keep moisture in, and excessive smoke out. The big dogs of Hog competitions cook foiled all the way until glazing

Id also suggest covering the loin/tenderloin/ham area with bacon or sausage to slow the cooking down in those areas.

I did a 140# last Saturday. We used Chris Lilly injection with half the salt and 50/50 apple juice and white grape juice. It was a struggle to get a whole gallon in but we did it. It came out very moist, so much so that it was putting out the coals on the rotisserie. Since it was on a rotisserie the juice leaking out made it a self basting. I didn't put any coals under the center to keep that from getting overdone.

Just a couple of things to add. You can cook successfully skin up or skin down. I cook whole, racer style, and add pork butts to the cavity to protect the loin. You will get good pork either way, but I prefer the appearance of the critter done upright vs. looking at his butterflied gut.

If you choose not to foil, you will have a black hog which isn't as impressive as a red one. You can put the foil on the grate first and roll up the ends, then just unroll and crimp when you like the color. If the ears and tail are going to be visible, wrap those in foil when you put it on.

Honestly you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want. This is about 120# I cooked a while ago. There was no injection, no rub....nothing other than some olive oil on the skin and beer in me. It came out plenty moist and the flavor was great....pure pork flavor. For the first one, I would suggest keeping it simple. Once you do a couple hogs, you'll realize they're not that difficult to do.....if you want just a simple good ol' pig roast...

Last edited:
I have always cooked my whole hogs skin up and flipping before he is too tender, don't want him falling apart before flipping. Once flipped skin down keeps all the juices in the meat. Always had good pigs this way. Whole hog is easy and you will have fun with it.

Just a couple of things to add. You can cook successfully skin up or skin down. I cook whole, racer style, and add pork butts to the cavity to protect the loin. You will get good pork either way, but I prefer the appearance of the critter done upright vs. looking at his butterflied gut.

Im pretty new to whole hogs (only done 2 so far) but after doing both butterflied, Im wanting to do one racer for presentation.

are you still laying them out to rub and inject and then pulling it all together to position in racer style?

Im pretty new to whole hogs (only done 2 so far) but after doing both butterflied, Im wanting to do one racer for presentation.

are you still laying them out to rub and inject and then pulling it all together to position in racer style?

My supplier doesn't fully split them, so they hold shape very well. I put rub in the cavity and on the butts I fill the cavity with, but honestly it doesn't do much because there is not much meat exposed. I inject what I can from the bottom, roll him over, and inject through the skin. I use a Chops and pump it up pretty good with Chris Lilly's injection made with white grape juice.

Back