Help with my first Pig

joegiggles

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm doing my first pig this weekend and would appreciate any help I can get.

I'm smoking it on a double barrel reverse flow smoker.
I'll be using lump with oak as fuel.
My Pig is 37#'s (head on) and I want to get it up to 200 so its pull-able.
Due to the size of the smoker, I have to cook it racing style. I want to serve dinner around 6 o'clock.
I'm going to put some rub in the cavity and then oil and salt the skin.

So I'm thinking about lighting up the smoker around 11 am, putting the pig on around noon (once I'm holding 225). If I'm right, the pig should be done in about 4 hours (1 hr per 10#'s). I have an hour and a half of extra cook time with a half hour of resting time.

Does that sound right? Like I said this is my first time so I’m open to any suggestions.

I would have Pizza Hut on speed dial because at 225 there is no way that pig is going to be ready to eat!! At that temp I would add at least 5 hours to your cook time or raise your pit temp to around 300.

I cook them racer style in my RF stickburner at 275*-300* for 1 hour and 15 minutes per 10 pounds, off the pit at a 190*-200* IT in (the ham) and rest for an hour or so. By my calcs that would mean about 4-1/2 hours cook + 1 hour rest, your timing can work, but poppa smoke is right, I would certainly consider running your pit closer to 300*. Goog luck!
PS: my experience has been 50#-60#+ hogs, head off. Don't know how a smaller head on would change by numbers, I'm guessing less cook time?

This is why I ask....looks like I'm going to put it on aroung 10 with a bigger fire! Thanks guys. I would rather it be done early and then keep it warm then have a hungry mob on my hands....

Back