Second Whole Hog in as many weeks (PRON)

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I cooked my first whole hog in preparation for yesterday's cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2570492

My neighbor's daughter, a long time baby sitter for my kids, graduated in June and had her party yesterday. My neighbor has spent so many weekends helping with my trailer build, it was the least that I could do for their family.

We picked up the 141lb hog on Friday night. We named the beauty Bambi and got to work getting her ready for the party. We injected her with a mix of apple juice and rub. We then rubbed her down on the inside with rub, stuffed her with three huge cabbages from the garden and rubbed her on the outside with canola oil. Since it was going to be a long cook, we decided to foil her for the first half of the cook.

It was a beautiful night on Friday night. We threw her on the cooker at 10:30pm and settled in for a long evening. About every 30 to 45 minutes I threw more apple wood into the fire box. I ended up sleeping for 30 minutes twice during the night.

At 7am Saturday morning we turned the rack and took the foil off.

After a long night, we were hungry so we cooked bacon, pancakes (with chocolate chips for the kids) and eggs on the firebox. It was great.

After 16 hours of cooking, the pig was done and was taken off the cooker and left to rest for an hour. The party had about 75 people show up and at the end of the night, there was less than 15lbs of pig left. Another success. We all joked that we need to figure out what we can celebrate two weeks from now to keep this pattern going.

(Me on the left and my neighbor on the right.)

Looks amazing, one day ill grow a pair, (and have a smoker capable of doing a whole pig) and do this.

looks very good I am cooking a hole hog for my dad next weekend hope it looks like yours.

Looks good sorry i completly for got to get back to you about where my buddy got his pig from.

That looks great!!!! I can't wait to cook one some day.

Very Cool! That's what BBQ is all about!

I'll go one further and say that's what life is all about! :clap2:

You're doing it right fo sho brother! :thumb:

Me and the other Wisconsin farkers will come see you in two weeks if that's reason enough to keep your pattern going! Nice cook!

Back