Pork Belly Satay?

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Have a Pork Belly I’m wanting to cook up. I’d normally do this with a spicy Asian marinade using Gochugang and Korean chile powder, but we just did that with some chicken. The wife loves Chicken Satay and suggested trying that marinade with the pork. I can’t see why not, but decided to check with the Brethren. Any reason you think it might not work? Also torn between whether or not to do the belly whole or cube it up like burnt ends. Thoughts?

Looking forward to this one - I’ve got a couple pounds of pork belly in the deep freeze that I need to do something with. Was thinking burnt ends, but I like a good inventive twist.

This sounds excellent.

I love the idea of small-ish belly cubes in the marinade, then skewered before a trip to the grill.

Looking forward to seeing your adventures!

No pics yet, but I cubed up the 3 pounds of belly, and put them in the below marinade (X3 batch). We like Spicy, not sweet, so I cut down on the brown sugar and put 4 habaneros in the processor too. I’ll take some pics tomorrow.

I plan to put these indirect on a rack at around 250*. Never made them, so any suggestions as to how long would be appreciated.

Finally getting around to posting pictures for this cook. It turned out really good and the wife liked it. Unfortunately for me, while it tasted great, I was miserable for a day after eating it. Had my gallbladder removed last year, and I guess it was just too fatty for my body to process. The wife is enjoying the leftovers and slightly rubbing it in how good they taste. On to the pics...

Smoking these with the WSCG and the SnS with the Drip N Griddle, and I know that with those, sometimes the bottom of the meats don't get cooked as well and require flipping. Since I didn't want to mess with that, I just needed to elevate the rack some. I need to save off some small cans for this purpose in the future, but until then, I just made a 6' aluminum foil snake.

IMG_5304_zpsejr9n2nt.jpg

Someone above mentioned using skewers. I didn't plan on it, but they were all wobbly and decided that was a great idea. A little over 50 cubes of deliciousness on the skewers and on a rack for easy transportation.

IMG_5307_zps7ghfddfb.jpg

On to the WSCG running in the low 200* range with a little cherry.

IMG_5309_zpsvsw2h5rx.jpg

Into a pan after a couple hour smoke bath.

IMG_5315_zpsda76ilru.jpg

Added a little more Satay marinade, stirred, and covered in foil.

IMG_5316_zpslri5weyr.jpg

Nice tacky, savory, and spicy bites of pork goodness.

IMG_5318_zpsbjvxkm7q.jpg

IMG_5319_zpsrwdihmei.jpg

Served with rice and cucumber kimchi.

IMG_5317_zps3ejc4dq3.jpg

I'd make them again, but it would be for an appetizer where I only eat a couple, not as a main protein.

Looks tasty, nice colour.
I was wondering how it was going to look
I had my gallbladder out a few years ago, interesting about your reactions.
I can have a problem as well so its not my imagination.

Back