MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Nitsua
Found some matches.

Default Question regarding Jack Daniels Smoke Chips

I recently got a Smokey Joe Silver two weeks ago. So far ribeyes and bone pork chops have been very good on it. The other day at the commissary I saw these Jack Daniels Smoking Chips and I thought about using them. Here is my question: the bag I was looking at said "Use with gas grills or electric smokers". I went home and looked online at some other retailers and found another bag of what seems to be the same product but it mentions charcoal on the package. Is there really a difference in the two different bags of smoking chips? If i soaked the "gas grill and electric smoker" one in water and threw them into my coals would it turn out okay? I just don't know what the difference is.

Here are the two bags for reference

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...LL._SY300_.jpg

http://www.smokyfun.net/content/imag...-chips-bag.jpg
Nitsua is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Probably is no difference other than marketing.
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Nitsua
Found some matches.

I was thinking the same thing. I couldn't find any apparent difference in the two but I wanted to be sure before I went ahead with trying them.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Rub.and.Smoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

I'm sure you will be fine with them. They are a little strong so you may want to experiment a little when trying them. I used them a few times, not enough that I noticed much the first time and the next was too much.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

They are wood chips - use them how you want. I don't see where the barrel wood will add much more than just good oak?

IMO the JD lable does not make them any better just more expensive.
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

No difference in the two, it's wood chips. You can make a foil pouch, filled with some chips and poke a few holes in it. Put it above the lit coals to add smoke to your cook.
With gas or electric grills you use chips with a smoker box or foil pouch. I would think that's why it is written on the bag. With charcoal or lump most people use wood chunks, the chips burn up real quick.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Nitsua
Found some matches.

Thanks for the inputy everybod. I have been hesitant to buy these. i know the Jack Daniels may just be a name but I could seriously smell the familiar whiskey smell throught the bag, they are strong like rub.n.smoke said. I'll probably put them in foil with some holes poked in them on my little Smokey Joe. Like blackdog said the chips would burn up too quickly if I just put them directly on the coals.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Yeah wood chips are wood chips, really
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Heisenberg
Got Wood.

I see these every where and have wondered if the Jack really gives it any additional or different flavor. Let us know what your experience is with them.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Firby13
On the road to being a farker

Someone gave me a bag of those years ago.
I use them all of the time on the gasser with a Brinkman smoke box.
I like the flavor.
Yes they do taste different than just oak.

With charcoal I would go with chunks, as the chips will be long gone before you get any flavor.
Firby13 is offline   Reply With Quote