• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for some "Signature Sides"

are you serious, you won't give something out because,,,,, he's to close to you. :twisted:

I just farkin with you,,, waiting for the call to you, from the bag phone.:icon_shy

Hey the guy seems like he knows what he's is talkin' bout! Seriously.

Ouch twisted..... that is 13 ingredients...

simple yet delicious...... I already do a variation on Surprise potatoes. so this is too similar and what I have already works, I am really looking for something other than taters and beans. Something already proven to be a catering favorite would fit the bill!

yup i know its 13 ingredients..lol

13 is my lucky number...day my daughter was born on

i am not big for potato salads but when i make this one..well i like it alot

I make a cold broccoli salad. From what I see, looks like you need a cold cole slaw to add to the mix. For me, the beans, slaw and taters is the holy trinity of sides.

I am thinking towards going with a slaw or pasta salad, a few folks have sent me their recipes. I thank you all for that. I just try to avoid mayo if I can.

I went over to Restaurant Depot yesterday and wandered the aisles for a while debating on which way to go. Mostly I looked at your input from a catering point of view. I'll let ya'll know what I ended up adding.

Special thanks to Marsha for my peaks at her menu and her emails, I like several of the options on her menu and will look to incorperate some variations of what she has listed.

My menu sort of goes like this:

some variation or all depending on what the customer wants or what I have time for.

ABts, sometimes smoked bologna (cubed with honey mustard cayenne sauce)

Ribs, PP, Brisket & Chicken (thinking about adding my stuffed pork loin with a tex-mex flair)

Beans, Taters (adding slaw or pasta salad)

Texas toast, pickled japs, pickles, sliced onion (white and red)

Peach cobbler and brownies

Try playing around with your favorite easy bread recipe... especially ones that you can convert to rolls well.... You can't deny the greatness of fresh rolls/bread. People love that stuff. Unless it's completely out of the theme, I generally knock out a a couple tins of various flavors of focaccia with the food I am serving. If the dough is already made, all it takes is a little sweat over an oven to knock a few batches out. I've never really worked a job of more than 40 or so.. so I can't say if it's viable for the big gigs. I bet if you rent one of those crazy commercial kitchens I'm sure you can knock a ton out in one of those schnazzy ovens.

Try playing around with your favorite easy bread recipe... especially ones that you can convert to rolls well.... You can't deny the greatness of fresh rolls/bread. People love that stuff. Unless it's completely out of the theme, I generally knock out a a couple tins of various flavors of focaccia with the food I am serving. If the dough is already made, all it takes is a little sweat over an oven to knock a few batches out. I've never really worked a job of more than 40 or so.. so I can't say if it's viable for the big gigs. I bet if you rent one of those crazy commercial kitchens I'm sure you can knock a ton out in one of those schnazzy ovens.

Just easier to go with Texas Toast, stick with what works. The best part about texas toast is that I do absolutely nothing, therefore it costs me just $1.72 a loaf, therefore simple, yet people love it. I talked with a guy yesterday who owns an established BBQ joint and he recently hired a pastry chef, initially folks loved the seven types of specialty bread he was producing as well as the fancy desserts, but in the end, texas toast, hot rolls and peach cobbler is king in Texas BBQ joints.

Okay, since you said you wanted a pasta salad as an option, I'll post up the recipe I mentioned earlier. Again, this is a client favorite that I get requests to serve all season long.

It scales very well. (I've done this dish for a party of 150 with no trouble scaling the recipe.) The other advantage of this dish is that is does NOT create service concerns as would a mayo or dressing based salad. This makes it a perfect 'cold' side dish even for outdoor events in the heat of summer.

Tortellini Pesto Salad

Serving Size : 24

Preparation Time: 0:15 Start to Finish Time: 0:45

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds Cheese Tortellini -- Fresh Pasta
16 ounces Pesto sauce -- Fresh or Packaged
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes -- drained and chopped
1 cup pine nuts -- toasted
1/2 pound prosciutto -- cooked and chopped
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Cook tortellini per the package directions, drain and allow to cool.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well to combine.

Chill for 20 minutes or overnight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : If using dry tortellini, reduce the amount by a third (1/3) to half (1/2).

The prosciutto is an option for this dish. It is an modification I made from the original recipe. I like to add it for the salty flavor that it brings to the salad. However, it can add significantly to the cost. Costco or Sam's often have diced prosciutto available at a VERY good price. I have found this product is PERFECT for this recipe.

My local Sam's carries oil packed sun dried tomatoes in 32 oz jars at a great price.

Vac-Pac pine nuts and freeze for extended shelf life.

I am thinking towards going with a slaw or pasta salad, a few folks have sent me their recipes. I thank you all for that. I just try to avoid mayo if I can.

I went over to Restaurant Depot yesterday and wandered the aisles for a while debating on which way to go. Mostly I looked at your input from a catering point of view. I'll let ya'll know what I ended up adding.

Special thanks to Marsha for my peaks at her menu and her emails, I like several of the options on her menu and will look to incorperate some variations of what she has listed.

My menu sort of goes like this:

some variation or all depending on what the customer wants or what I have time for.

ABts, sometimes smoked bologna (cubed with honey mustard cayenne sauce)

Ribs, PP, Brisket & Chicken (thinking about adding my stuffed pork loin with a tex-mex flair)

Beans, Taters (adding slaw or pasta salad)

Texas toast, pickled japs, pickles, sliced onion (white and red)

Peach cobbler and brownies

Any time! Yes, some of our sides are easy to make on-site only because of our bbq trailer. Heck, we have even made the garlic mashed potatoes on-site. We use the the turkey fryer to boil the potatoes, drain them, put them back in the big pot and use a long paint stirring attachment on the cordless drill to mash the taters.

Okay, since you said you wanted a pasta salad as an option, I'll post up the recipe I mentioned earlier. Again, this is a client favorite that I get requests to serve all season long.

It scales very well. (I've done this dish for a party of 150 with no trouble scaling the recipe.) The other advantage of this dish is that is does NOT create service concerns as would a mayo or dressing based salad. This makes it a perfect 'cold' side dish even for outdoor events in the heat of summer.

Tortellini Pesto Salad

Serving Size : 24

Preparation Time: 0:15 Start to Finish Time: 0:45

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds Cheese Tortellini -- Fresh Pasta
16 ounces Pesto sauce -- Fresh or Packaged
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes -- drained and chopped
1 cup pine nuts -- toasted
1/2 pound prosciutto -- cooked and chopped
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Cook tortellini per the package directions, drain and allow to cool.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well to combine.

Chill for 20 minutes or overnight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : If using dry tortellini, reduce the amount by a third (1/3) to half (1/2).

The prosciutto is an option for this dish. It is an modification I made from the original recipe. I like to add it for the salty flavor that it brings to the salad. However, it can add significantly to the cost. Costco or Sam's often have diced prosciutto available at a VERY good price. I have found this product is PERFECT for this recipe.

My local Sam's carries oil packed sun dried tomatoes in 32 oz jars at a great price.

Vac-Pac pine nuts and freeze for extended shelf life.

Ohmigosh, that looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing!!!

My husband gets mad at me because I don't really have a recipe for my pasta or potato salad, etc. I just add the ingredients and go by taste and how it looks. Oooops! But, I can give you an idea of how I make the pasta salad.

These are the ingredients:
-Curly pasta
-Bernstein’s Italian Dressing
-Shredded Parmesan cheese
-Chopped fresh Italian Parsley
-Shredded Carrots (I buy pre-shredded from the produce section, or from our wholesale produce guy)
-Chopped Bell Peppers (you can use green, red, yellow for more color)
-Marinated Artichoke Hearts
-Kalamata Olives, pitted
-Sun-dried tomatoes, julienne (sometimes I substitute the sun-dried tomatoes with fresh grape tomatoes)
-Sliced Squash (crookneck and/or zucchini)
-Sliced mushrooms
-Chopped red onion
-Garlic Salt
-Pepper

I cook the pasta then put it in a container and add some of the italian dressing to it and mix it in. Just add enough dressing to coat the pasta. Then refrigerate to let it cool. Chop up all the vegetables etc. into small bite sized pieces. When the pasta is cool mix in all of the vegetables and add more italian salad dressing. Mix in the shredded parmesan cheese, add garlic salt and pepper to taste.
I always use Bernstein’s Italian Dressing because it has a really good flavor that I like and it works great in this pasta salad.

I forgot to mention I always cook the pasta 'al dente' so it is less likely to get soggy.

Smashed Potatoes:
10# Baked Red Potatoes
Add Whole Milk until you have nice lumpy mashed potaoes, sorta tight.
Add 1 TBSP Minced Garlic, 2 1/2# Sour Cream, handful of chives, pint of condensed cream of chicken soup, couple big handfuls of diced bacon, 1 1/2# shredded colby jack. Use 1# cheese in it, 1/2# on top. Bake til brown and delicious.

Any time! Yes, some of our sides are easy to make on-site only because of our bbq trailer. Heck, we have even made the garlic mashed potatoes on-site. We use the the turkey fryer to boil the potatoes, drain them, put them back in the big pot and use a long paint stirring attachment on the cordless drill to mash the taters.

If you like garlic mashed potatoes, try adding lobster base as well.... I think the word that then comes to mind is "buddabing"

If you like garlic mashed potatoes, try adding lobster base as well.... I think the word that then comes to mind is "buddabing"

A word of caution on using 'hidden' shell fish ingredients. Those with iodine allergies can have a reaction, sometimes severe, to foods with shell fish components. Granted this is a somewhat minor risk, but an anaphylactic episode happening at an event you cater can never be viewed as a good thing. Iodine allergies are the second most common acute food allergy behind only sensitivity to peanuts.

I avoid the use of peanut oil in foods we prepare for parties for the same reason. For me, it's not worth risking it. Even beyond the legal entanglements that could result, the bad "press" would do nothing good for my company image.

Wow, both of those potato dishes sound excellent. Lobster base... wow!

I don't use milk or cream in my mashed potatoes. Butter and sour cream, plus some roasted garlic, garlic salt and pepper. Maybe some parsley for a bit of color.

Now I am hungry!

I make a cold broccoli salad. From what I see, looks like you need a cold cole slaw to add to the mix. For me, the beans, slaw and taters is the holy trinity of sides.
Cold broccoli salad is a hit with me too BD.
What's your recipe?

I have to hang out in the catering forum more often - these are great recipes. I don't cater but these will be hitting my table soon. Thanks for sharing folks.

I will share one that is a hit at my house - and is easy. You can zest it up to fit the bill.....

Summer Pasta Salad

16 oz elbow macs
16 oz frozen corn (thawed)
16 oz frozen peas (thawed)
28 oz. diced tomatoes (drained)
6 scallions (chopped)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Dressing
¼ cup olive oil
6 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 cloves minced garlic
Salt & pepper to taste

This started out as a dip – just omit the peas and macs.
It was delicious with the frozen veggies but better with fresh in the summer.
Also have done it with roasted garlic and like the results.

I have to hang out in the catering forum more often - these are great recipes. I don't cater but these will be hitting my table soon. Thanks for sharing folks.

I will share one that is a hit at my house - and is easy. You can zest it up to fit the bill.....

Summer Pasta Salad

16 oz elbow macs
16 oz frozen corn (thawed)
16 oz frozen peas (thawed)
28 oz. diced tomatoes (drained)
6 scallions (chopped)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Dressing
¼ cup olive oil
6 Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 cloves minced garlic
Salt & pepper to taste

This started out as a dip – just omit the peas and macs.
It was delicious with the frozen veggies but better with fresh in the summer.
Also have done it with roasted garlic and like the results.

That sounds like a yummy salad, too. Thanks for sharing! :-D

Tomato Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:

• 3 large, firm tomatoes
  • 2 cucumbers
  • 1 small onion, red or yellow
  • 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, depending on taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh italian parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:

Finely chop tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions. Toss with remaining ingredients and gently mix well.

Serve chilled. Serves 4.

Back