Wsm 22.5

I have been using a foil covered pizza stone that I set in the foil lined water pan.

It really stabilized the temps.

You need to use water and also a foiled pan just so you will know how water affects the temp. I cooked baby backs last Sat. at 280 and used water. I like water with ribs. I think it helps keep them from drying out. Water will cause you to go through more charcoal as you have to keep the water at the cooking temp or higher but I think it is worth it. My reasoning is that many of the other really good vertical smokers use a water pan. Backwoods comes to mind.

If I don't use water, I have a clay flower pot base I put in the pan and then cover both with foil. If you use water, spray the pan with Pam before adding water. Makes clean up a breeze.

I never use water. Foiled clay flower pot base, with a layer of foil over the top of that. Cleanup is easy and I can run my WSM as high as I want. If doing chicken only, I will remove the clay flower pot base and just foil the pan. Easy to stay above 300° by manipulating the intake vents at the bottom.

Have you tried foiling the ribs at any time during the cook? The only reason I ask is I have a WSM and I have not tried going waterless, although I want to because I burn the living hell out of charcoal.

Yeah. Still ends up with a chewy crust for me.

I like easy. Just foil the water pan and go. No water. No mess. Try both water and no water to see what works best for you.

I've been doing most of my cooks between 275-325 so I ditched the water. At my altitude, I was unable to break 250 with everything wide open and water in the pan. Haven't noticed a difference in quality other than my quality of extra sleep. Not to mention I still have a huge dead spot in my grass from where I accidentally dumped my water the last time I used it.

Do you know where to buy a disc harrow blade? I can't find one anywhere around Charlotte.

Peaspurple suggestion sounds good I never thought of them. I tried searching the net and found a few but where I work we have laser cutters and they cut me a disk so I stopped looking. You could check a few metal shops or weld shops in your area if they have plasma cutters they could do the same. I really like the way it works because all I want is a barrier and the sand just wasn't what I was hoping for. Clean up is still easy I foil the disk only and haven't had to change the pan foil but once last Summer. The temps are easy to control because there isn't anything absorbing the heat before it releases it like sand or water. The foiled pan would probably be just fine it's just that I read where a couple of people said they warped the pan by running it empty and the disk I think will keep that from happening.

Back