Smoked Salmon

SyraQue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Came into a bunch of fresh local salmon and I'd like to turn into cold smoked salmon/lox etc. Does anyone have a go to cure for this type of thing they would be willing to share?

Thanks very much in advance.

Just this afternoon I smoked two steelhead fillets for my visiting sister and brother-in-law from Washington State and they loved it, even preferring the texture of the steelhead (in the West, called rainbow or cut-throat trout) to their native salmon. I like the steelhead because it is native to Minnesota, too, and Costco leaves the skin on the fillet, whereas their salmon is completely skinned. This is the recipe/directions I used: http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

The recipe has a curing rub and a finishing/smoking rub. I had the curing rub on for 2.5hrs in the frig last night, rinsed and patted off the fish and let rest until the pellicle set up, then back in the frig, covered, overnight. I used cherry for the smoke and ran the WSM for 2.5hrs. at 190-210F to reach an internal temp of 150F. Rested it uncovered then covered and put back in frig for 2 hrs. before supper. We mixed the salmon into a salad my wife prepared. It really was good! Only change to the recipe above is that I don't use garlic or onion on fish; find it overwhelms the true taste of the fish in any amount.

Check out cowgirl
Gore did a great job on Hot Smoke
I am sure thirdeye has something on his blog
Don Marco has a cold smoke thread and uses Gentleman Jack-
All of these are very good

Using Brethren Thirdeye's method for the first time.
Countdown to Sunday bagels:
Thursday night, dry brine 2 lbs each Faroe Island fresh salmon (from Chula Seafood in Phoenix) plus 2 lbs Costco farm raised skinless.
Friday morning rinse and wetbrine.
Friday night refresh and soak out. Pat dry. Dill, white pepper + black pepper to the Costco filet.
Equalizing now!
B2eFEKxNd4G

Don't hate :-D "Cool" day in Phoenix tomorrow, only 69'F for a high.
Going to use my old Bandera with an ice bucket in the fire box, and A-Maze-N cold smoking tray one shelf up in the main chamber. 2 X salmon and also trying cheese for the first time. Monterrey Jack and "Flaming Co-Jack".

Nova Lox vs Lox vs Smoked Salmon

I agree with Airedale, but what I and others have prepared here is "Nova Lox", not "Lox"

Wikipedia Lox page:
Lox is a fillet of brined salmon. Lox is one type of salmon product served on a bagel with cream cheese, and is usually garnished with tomato, sliced onion, cucumbers, and sometimes capers. The other type of salmon product is smoked salmon.
And:
Nova or Nova Scotia salmon, sometimes called Nova lox, is cured with a milder brine and then cold-smoked.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I agree with Airedale, but what I and others have prepared here is "Nova Lox", not "Lox"

Wikipedia Lox page:
Lox is a fillet of brined salmon. Lox is one type of salmon product served on a bagel with cream cheese, and is usually garnished with tomato, sliced onion, cucumbers, and sometimes capers. The other type of salmon product is smoked salmon.
And:
Nova or Nova Scotia salmon, sometimes called Nova lox, is cured with a milder brine and then cold-smoked.
Not sure what your exact point is, but I will cheerfully plead guilty to sloppy writing. Lox and Nova Lox are both cured, raw, salmon. Recipes I have seen do not differentiate between them ref the brine recipe. I was referring to both.

And, of course, if the product is to be kept refrigerated and consumed in a short time, one might conclude that actually curing it is unnecessary. There are only twenty or so US deaths per year from food-borne botulism. I just would rather not be responsible for any of them.

OK - I see it now. Original Post was for cold smoke help, and some responded with hot smoke inputs. My bad.

First go with the A-Maze-N turned out well for Nova Lox and bagel for Sunday breakfast. Also did a section hot smoked at 160'F to 140'F internal temp. Both yummy.

Attachments

• Salmon 2 Ways.gif
    Salmon 2 Ways.gif
    166.6 KB · Views: 115
Just this afternoon I smoked two steelhead fillets for my visiting sister and brother-in-law from Washington State and they loved it, even preferring the texture of the steelhead (in the West, called rainbow or cut-throat trout) to their native salmon. I like the steelhead because it is native to Minnesota, too, and Costco leaves the skin on the fillet, whereas their salmon is completely skinned. This is the recipe/directions I used: http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

The recipe has a curing rub and a finishing/smoking rub. I had the curing rub on for 2.5hrs in the frig last night, rinsed and patted off the fish and let rest until the pellicle set up, then back in the frig, covered, overnight. I used cherry for the smoke and ran the WSM for 2.5hrs. at 190-210F to reach an internal temp of 150F. Rested it uncovered then covered and put back in frig for 2 hrs. before supper. We mixed the salmon into a salad my wife prepared. It really was good! Only change to the recipe above is that I don't use garlic or onion on fish; find it overwhelms the true taste of the fish in any amount.

if I am not mistaken steelhead are introduced into the midwest fisheries. they are not native species?

Back