MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What is a SSR?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Lightning
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
What is a SSR?
Solid State Relay
Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
WvSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

^^^What Lightning said^^^. An SSR is a Solid State Relay. The difference between an SSR and standard relay is the way the contact closure is made. In a standard relay, and electrical current is passed through a magnetic coil, which then retracts a solenoid, which closes a set of mechanical contacts; much like flipping a light switch, but electrically. A solid state relay uses transistors (way over-simplified, but suitable for explanation) which activate to allow current to flow when triggered. The advantages of the SSR over a standard relay are the response time and lack of moving parts.

My name is Monty, dad, or grandpa...depending on who you are.
WvSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
ChrisH
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvSmoke View Post
If the PID has a built in SSR, you will have to run the 12vdc fan power through the SSR output relay contacts. If, however, your PID has SSR control you will have to use a separate SSR. The controller I built has SSR control, so I had to use an external SSR. My build thread is here. I have a diagram in pdf format somewhere. I'll try to find it after work.
I believe the PID does have the SSR built in with a 12VDC output, I cannot find any info on the max load it can carry. The fan will draw an amp or less.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
jw177
Got Wood.

Wow, looks really simple to put together. A parts list would be great since you have already done the hard part
jw177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
fudgeorama
Found some matches.

I was looking at this very controller, but it displays temperature in Celcius.
fudgeorama is offline   Reply With Quote