MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sheep ribs done savory with chimi chury
Wagu & Berkshire Bacon Cheese burger with Stilton and crimini mushrooms on a Brioche roll
Beef pot pie made from left over brisket Flat

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

My restaurant (Smoqued California BBQ) is much more upscale than the regular BBQ joint. We offer some higher end specials from time to time that don't stay on the regular menu such as pork belly, prime rib, fish offerings, etc. I have posted lots of pictures of our place in the Brethren Road Trips secion and you can google our name and probably find some photos.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
landarc

I have been liking what I have seen of Ryan's place, that is where I think a high end BBQ place can be taken. If what you are looking for is to feature BBQ, that is much the concept I would look at.

On the other hand, if you wanted to do fine dining, which is what I take upscale to really mean, it comes down to tailoring food to a higher level of service. Smoked meats can figure into the equation, but, it ends up being about how to create the elevated sensation of fine service with that food. You could still do brisket, pork shoulder and such, but, in smaller portions and with more presentation. Thus...

BBQ normal to me...brisket is served on the plate, with pickles, onion, maybe slaw and beans...

Upscale to me...brisket is served on the plate, with house made pickled vegetables and a sweet and spicy polenta and plate sauce from jus

I also think the flavors you pull or add to the meat have to be more complex, people will expect more expansive and creative flavors and higher quality meat if they are paying more for the experience.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Landarc,

As usual, we are on a similar page. Somewhere between a bistro and a brasserie. I was thinking brisket as a single cut with a demiglace on the plate and a sourcream horseradish placed on the table.

For pork I was thinking about a rillette style presentation with pickled apricot, plum (prune), and possibly a compote.

I have to come clean and say the confited pork loin and duck would be on the menu as well as a cured pork collar.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Also, a white bean puree is still beans, right.

Please keep this going guys Several good ideas have surfaced already.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
deguerre

Lessee...Memphis to Rogers is only 340 miles or so...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
landarc

Sour Cream Horseradish sauce is not served with brisket often enough if you ask me.

And as long as I am going down this road, gastrique goes so well with pulled pork. A cherry or apple gastrique, served with a nice rich pulled pork (but not shredded, left in chunks) and some white bean puree, or a sweet corn polenta (to allude to cornbread) would be lovely.

Also, I have often thought about riffing on collards, going either with kale or baby collards in salads and/or as a side dish. I love collards with vinegar, there has to be a way to take that and elevate it.

Oh, and if you chose to go with the elevated Steak house idea, all the rage lately, I would love to see someone finally do a chuck rib right. Cooked in smoke until absolutely tender, with the bone attached, not short ribs, something along the lines of an 8" rib, served with a dark fruit and jus reduction.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Also, I have often thought about riffing on collards, going either with kale or baby collards in salads and/or as a side dish. I love collards with vinegar, there has to be a way to take that and elevate it.
In a bowl with the pot likker and some thinly sliced pork belly as a small soup would be killer.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Sour Cream Horseradish sauce is not served with brisket often enough if you ask me.

And as long as I am going down this road, gastrique goes so well with pulled pork. A cherry or apple gastrique, served with a nice rich pulled pork (but not shredded, left in chunks) and some white bean puree, or a sweet corn polenta (to allude to cornbread) would be lovely.

Oh, and if you chose to go with the elevated Steak house idea, all the rage lately, I would love to see someone finally do a chuck rib right. Cooked in smoke until absolutely tender, with the bone attached, not short ribs, something along the lines of an 8" rib, served with a dark fruit and jus reduction.
Great ideas!!

BUT an 8 inch rib.... that is insanity. I always thought that baby backs were for men *humph* intimidated by spares, but an 8 inch bone... Obviously I kid. However, that would have to be served on a rectangle plate with some sort of architectural construction. I am intimidated by that.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
In a bowl with the pot likker and some thinly sliced pork belly as a small soup would be killer.
Oh hell yeah. Sous vide then broiled pork belly.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Bone-in pork roast, sliced double cut style for a huge pork chop.