First Brisket Experiment!

JbTech

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ok...I'm pretty sure I picked up just the flat. But I'm gonna give it a go anywho.
This is the beginning...
(My uneducated eye tells me this is a flat, confirmation appreciated)

edit_preview.php

Spur of the moment desire to try something new.
Still cooking on the Mini Cobbed WSM for now, but do have something new (bigger) in the works.

Decided to build a table to set the little fella on. A tad more graceful than sticking my face in the grass to see the vent. Special thanks to the free chair who sacrificed its back.

2ml8.jpg

I know, :blah::blah::blah:

Planning to cook from 5am until probe tender. The flat part threw me off. Wasn't sure what I was buying.

Shooting for 3-4pm eat time.

Here's the improved cooking rig.

y7gr.jpg

Still learning alot, and experimenting!
It's awesome! Enjoying every minute!

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge on this site! :clap:

Still looking for advice! Feel free to chime in!
I'll likely not sleep tonight tweaking the setup as best I can.

It is just the flat, no doubt.

BTW, the word "Lean" should have been a dead giveaway.

It is just the flat, no doubt.

BTW, the word "Lean" should have been a dead giveaway.

Yup. Lean should have knocked it out of the park.

However, if I don't know the basics, it makes for fun experiments!

We'll learn and move on!

Thanks for the advice! :thumb:

It Looks like it has Good Marbling as CAB should....:thumb: I'd run it at 280 - 300* if possible and wrap in Butcher or Parchment Paper at 4- hrs and start probing at 5 hrs, and probe every 45 minutes.......probally 6-7 hr cook time but might be less as its only 6.5 lbs.....make sure and let it rest 1 hr minimum - 2 hrs Best before slicing.

It Looks like it has Good Marbling as CAB should....:thumb: I'd run it at 2808-300* if possible and wrap in Butcher or Parchment Paper at 4- hrs and start probing at 5 hrs, and probe every 45 minutes.......probally 6-7 hr cook time but might be less as its only 6.5 lbs.....make sure and let it rest 1 hr minimum - 2 hrs Best before slicing.

That sounds good! I thought it was a decent piece of meat.

They didn't have any full packers available. Time to visit the local slaughterhouse!

btw, What is the protocol for announcing a membership?
I love all the advice here, even though I've just started :shock:

I prefer slices and the flat of a packer anyways - as long as you can find nice thick well marbled flats like that one you don't need a packer unless u just want Burnt Ends or Chopped.

If it has any fat cap left on it - cook fat cap down in that little smoker.

What Rub are you gonna use - some of these guys like just Salt n Pepper And Garlic but i prefer a rub - Adkins Western

null_zps302c1a22.jpg

Indeed, that is a full flat and it looks like a good one. It should cook up great, as long as you let it cook until it is probe tender and/or floppy. No reason to fear cooking a nice flat like that. Hopefully, there is a fat cap on the bottom side, leave it alone and cook it up.

I prefer slices and the flat of a packer anyways - as long as you can find nice thick well marbled flats like that one you don't need a packer unless u just want Burnt Ends or Chopped.

If it has any fat cap left on it - cook fat cap down in that little smoker.

What Rub are you gonna use - some of these guys like just Salt n Pepper And Garlic but i prefer a rub - Adkins Western

null_zps302c1a22.jpg

Haven't gone fancy or daring yet. Still feeling out this little cobbed smoker!
Planning on a simple salt/pepper dusting.
I have several rubs here now, but wasn't sure what to use on a flat.
We'll go with salt/pepper for now.

Indeed, that is a full flat and it looks like a good one. It should cook up great, as long as you let it cook until it is probe tender and/or floppy. No reason to fear cooking a nice flat like that. Hopefully, there is a fat cap on the bottom side, leave it alone and cook it up.

I hope it's a good one! I trimmed what seemed to be flappy/excess but it wasn't much! I watched FranklinBBQ on YouTube for quick hints.

To say I'm excited is an understatement!
I've got this ready to go ( ghetto charcoal starter)

v5ft.jpg

And this loaded for bear tomorrow!

yy2z.jpg

I still plan on starting around 3:30 or 4...Rest in cooler for a couple hours

Giddy. Just Giddy!
Thanks for all the advice!

Just made the move on the 1 year membership!
There has never been such a vault of knowledge and advice as the Brethren!

:thumb:

Good luck and have a lot of fun!!!! If you haven't already, swing by "Cattle Call" and introduce yourself!

Thanks everyone!

I delayed the start after a WHOLE BUNCH of reading and the advice left in this thread.

The lil fella is foiled on the counter waiting.

Jimini Chimini is getting things rolling outside.

Coffee is brewing!

Pics to follow!

Looks like you're off to a good start!
I'll keep checkin in on your cook here through out the day.

Got a brisket going on here too.

Welcome to the madness

Hands down the largest chunk of meat I've ever attempted to cook:

ef6u.jpg

The little cobbed smoker that could:

(pic on hold...ImageShack Grrr.)

We're shooting to have the lil guy on the smoker at 7...
Pending any more ImageShack wtf moments.

Don't be afraid to foil it...I would at about 165-170 Internal temp....and most important...don't pull it until probe tender...start checking at about 195ish....then cooler it for a couple of hours.

Don't be afraid to foil it...I would at about 165-170 Internal temp....and most important...don't pull it until probe tender...start checking at about 195ish....then cooler it for a couple of hours.

:grin:
That's the plan!
Not sure about the foil yet...I wasn't even going to check temps, just probe until ready for the cooler. Hmmm.

We'll see! Hoping to have it in the cooler @ 12 or 1 so I can go pick pumpkins with the fam.

Gonna be a good Day

Congrats on jumping in head first into the deep end of the pool.
And nice touch on the membership. Gotta love the beers by the name.

Sounds like you have the plan all put together, interested to see the results. Welcome to The Forum, great folks and great advice!!

KC

:grin:
That's the plan!
Not sure about the foil yet...I wasn't even going to check temps, just probe until ready for the cooler. Hmmm.

We'll see! Hoping to have it in the cooler @ 12 or 1 so I can go pick pumpkins with the fam.

Forget about the temps and go by feel. If you want to foil then do it when the bark color is where you want it.

Back