Using the rib racks

pull_my_butt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Before I invest in one of these, for those of you who have used it, does it make your ribs more dry? I was just thinking-the placing of the ribs upright instead of bone side down-would that cause it to be more dry since the juices are not going through the meat but instead the juices are sliding off since the ribs are on it's side and not flat?

Given the choice I would rather cook ribs bone side down on the grate. Given no choice I have used racks, but don't like the product as much.

I've used them when space was limited. You will need to turn them over so the other side will cook even. I do prefer cooking with them laying flat. The only reason I think they may have been dryer when I did them that way was I didn't have the room to lay them flat so I could foil them. May still be able wrap them with the parkay and brown sugar and all, but I just didn't do it.

I also prefer to cook them flat, bone side down, but not necessarily because using the racks makes for an inferior cook, just because using them is kind of a PIA.

I think some of the rub gets knocked off with the racks and if saucing, the same thing. Plus, if used on a direct heat smoker like a UDS you have to rotate the ribs (flip/turn them) for even cooking.

BUT.....when I've needed to do a lot of ribs, I use them with good results and will continue to do so. How ELSE can I get 12 full racks of ribs on 1 UDS? :mrgreen:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
How ELSE can I get 12 full racks of ribs on 1 UDS? :mrgreen:

I get 12 plus 2 more for a total of 14 using 2 levels on my UDS. All it takes is a couple skewers.
utf-8BSU1BRzAzNDcuanBn.jpg

I'm with Wamp - they work ok, but they're kind of a PITA - if you have really meaty ribs you can run into having them get scraped when taking them out of the rack. I'd say the best (albeit not the most practical) way to deal with having to cook a bunch of ribs is to own multiple cookers. :thumb:

I cook on WSM's and have always used a rib rack. If I only cook 3 racks and have even spacing all around, I don't have to flip them to get even color. If i cook more than 3, i have to flip them or end up with the tops darker. I do have to spritz after the first hour or so.

I always use racks since large quantities do not cook well flat on the grates. Never had any complaints about my ribs. It can be tough to turn them . get a rack with a lot of space between the uprights.

I have 3 racks and I use them whenever I need to cook more ribss than I can do flat. On the small WSM, I usually cut the spares in half and I can get about 5 full racks on two cooking grates that way. On the big offset, I can cook 12 - 14 full racks if I half them and use the upper grate as well, but I have to rotate between the two grates every hour or the ones on the top get dried out. (Heat rises and my exhaust is located below the main cooking grate, so if the main grate is at 250, the top is closer to 300.)

I really like Pugi's solution up there, but in general I agree with what everyone else has
said. They're a PITA in general. Plus, most rib racks have openings for 6 ribs. The problem is that you really need space for air to flow between the ribs, even if you flip them. That's why you usually only put 3 ribs in each, to leave a space between them...

Otherwise, when foiled, I haven't noticed a drastic difference in moisture.

Before I resort to using rib racks, I'd add another cooking grate. Oh wait, I already did:thumb:

I get 12 plus 2 more for a total of 14 using 2 levels on my UDS. All it takes is a couple skewers.
utf-8BSU1BRzAzNDcuanBn.jpg

Quite honestly, ^^^ THAT ^^^ looks like just as much or more of a PIA than using the rib racks. I've not done it that way, but I thought about it once. I literally rolled the rack up, held it with one hand and said....."Fark that." and went with the racks.

If it works for you, awesome. I'll keep using my racks.

AND....

It depends on what racks you get too.
The ones I have allow for plenty of air flow between the racks of ribs. I go every other one to keep space between. I got these at Lowe's and use them "end-to-end" to I can squeeze all 6 racks on one cooking grate.

DSCN3342.jpg

I always use rib racks, but its because I pretty much have to on the little weber. I usually wrap my ribs after a couple hours, and they are never dry.

Back