Sweet Lookin' Homemade Wood Smoker

B

BBQ Bros

one of my best friends sent me these pics of his dad's home-built custom smoker. this thing is sick. i'm waiting to hear back from him, but i'm guessing it's between a 200-250 gal tank. my buddy told me his dad can build me one and hook me up big time on price. i'm a back-porch amateur Q'er that is madly in love with BBQing and have a full line of Weber rigs to get the job done. here's the big question....when does a dude like myself invest in something like this? ever? i mean, i have no plans of getting a vendors license or competing or anything like that, but i love to cook for a LOT of people a LOT of the time. i'm low on the totem pole compared to a lot of you BBQ bad-asses, but man, seeing something like this just makes the imagination run wild. i'm a younger guy, so i'm looking for some "elderly" advice :)

Attachments

• DSC01608.jpg
    DSC01608.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01609.jpg
    DSC01609.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01610.jpg
    DSC01610.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01623.jpg
    DSC01623.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 193
I'm 51... so I guess I qualify to give elderly advice. :sad:

Let's see: if you like to smoke, if you like to cook for crowds, and if you have the money... GO FOR IT! I invested in a Lang 48 Original last April - and I have no regrets. I look forward to firing it up every chance I get. If you buy a quality piece of equipment - it will last you for years.

A rig like that will get you invited to a lot of wild parties with 1/2 naked women runnin all around, college grad parties are my favorite.

That's a sweet looking rig. Personally, if you have no intentions of competing, or vending, then I wouldn't get something that big. If you've got your heart set on a horizontal off-set, see if he can make one half the size. You'll have plenty of room for a big party, and could compete with it if you change your mind.

Just my two cents. I would love to have a trailerd unit like that, but I have no use for one, my WEBER, NBBD, and UDS have all the room I need.

Matt

You can never have too many guns, too many knives, too much ammunition, or too many smokers. If you can afford it, get what you want when you want it. Don't look for or wait for a reason, just do it.

Have him build you one of those, but make it a reverse flow like a Lang.

If you know you'll use it, and you have the $$, I'd say go for it. I bought a sizable and pricey (to me anyway) offset a while back and, while I don't cook large enough quantities to fire it up every weekend, I'm really glad I have it for parties, fundraisers, etc. Most of the time I'm on a UDS or the Weber kettle 'cause it's just for the family, but I definitely use the big cooker enough to justify having bought it.

That is a sweet rig - a whole hog sure would look nice in there!

Another thing to consider - if you can get one for a good price now, and if there's any concern that such an opportunity would go away, you might wanna jump on it.

I agree that thing is a little big.Think about firing it up for a few 4-7 racks of ribs or a pork butt or two. I use a 60 Gal -very heavy but easily can move it around. I cook mainly for family and friends

SMOKIN 074.jpg

Back