Recipe needed BBQ Beans On The Smoker

T

tntjz3

Just as the title states. I need a link to, or your own, recipe for beans on the smoker. It's my wife's b-day this weekend and I'm smoking 2 pork butts, nuts for me while I wait, and beans. I have never done beans on a smoker so all input is great. Looking for something I can do in a dutch oven. Thanks!

I like to put the beans under the meat and let it catch the drippings.
The hog apple bean recipe is the way to go.
jon

here's my recipe for beans
1 chopped onion
1 pound bacon, i cut the bacon into small pieces, easier to do if bacon is frozen.
brown bacon and chopped onion in skillet or saute pan, set aside.
2 cans of Bush's baked beans (i know it's cheating)
1 cup of brown sugar

combine all ingredients in large bowl, and my secret ingredient... Buffalo's Chipotle hot sauce to taste and a dash of cayenne pepper. mix well and bake in a pan in oven at 350 for an hour or so and serve.

putting the beans on the smoker would be very good. i would think that they would have to cook longer in the smoker, 2 hours or so i would figure.

some folks like the beans, some think they're too sweet, i think with the pepper chipotle and brown sugar it makes for a sweet and hot type baked beans. i know the kids love it.

thanks
-mike

Hog Apple beans are great, My favorite is still Kevins Recipie

This is the original Kevin's Beans:

1 can Bush's "original baked beans" The "big boy" #10 can. About a gallon.
2 large yellow onions; chopped
2/3 cup of your favorite bbq sauce
1 entire green bell pepper - diced
1 entire yellow bell pepper - diced
1 entire red bell pepper - diced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup "sugar in the raw"
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups pulled pork (save a quart back next time you cook a butt)
The pulled pork is a must include ingredient, don't skip it!
1/4 tspn fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tspn chili powder (I use fresh ground de Arbol)
1/4 lb uncooked bacon slices; cut into pieces
3 tspn texas pete hot sauce

Mix in a large pan (I use the aluminium hotel pans), and smoke for 4+ hours. I like to place the pan under a couple of butts to catch the drippings.

A must try.

Dan

1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses

Mix in a large pan (I use the aluminium hotel pans), and smoke for 4+ hours. I like to place the pan under a couple of butts to catch the drippings.

A must try.

Dan

Yep, that's a good one there. Sometimes I add some sausage.

Someday I am going to try something other than Keri's Hog Apple Beans. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys! I'll give the Hog Apple beans a try. I have pulled pork leftovers in the freezer that I'll be adding.

1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup molasses

A must try.

Dan

Thanks for sharing this. I am definitely giving it a try. Love the hogapple beans and they are always a hit, BUT......

I have to try something new now and then. This sounds great.

Isn't using canned baked beans ..... well I don't see it as making baked beans anymore than opening a can an putting it on the stove.

Just doesn't seem right to me.

2 cups dried navy beans
bring to boil with enough water to cover by 2 inches add a tablespoon of Kosher salt.
Simmer 10 mins. Then let sit over night.
Next day simmer until almost done (add water to pot as required), firm but ...

1 Large Onion sliced
1 pound sliced bacon cut across the whole brick in 4 chunks
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup ketchup or 50/50 ketchup and your favorite bbq sauce
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoons of KC rub, kicked a notch with some crushed dry chili or not if you don't want them.

when your beans are firm but on the way...

line the bottom of your dutch oven with onion slices
add 1/4 bacon chunks
add 1/3 the beans
add another layer of onions
add another layer of bacon
add another layer of 1/3 beans
add another layer of onions
add another layer of bacon
add last of the beans and top with the last of the bacon

put the sugar, molasses, ketchup/bbq sauce and a 225Ml water in 1 ltr (4 cup) measure glass in the microwave, bring to a boil and stir well

Pour this over the beans if the beans aren't covered add water until just over the top by 1cm or so.

Stick in your BBQ for a minimum of 3 hours at 225- 275, check every hour for liquid. At hour 2 give it a stir just to turn the flavours over. Don't over stir and break up the beans.

Now if you cook the beans under a roast or a not too fat picnic shoulder it's all gooder in my opinion.

I'm going to have to try adding the apple filling in the last hour.

I use canned beans and they turn out pretty damn good.

I use one can of each, drained well;

Kidneys
Navy
Pinto
Great Northern

I then finely dice;

1/2 and onion
1 green bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1 cored jalapeno

I "sweat" the green ingredients with a pinch of kosher and a little olive oil. Do not brown them, just a sweat to break down the fibers in the veggies.

Then add the following to the beans;

wet mustard
brown sugar
worchesteshire
dark karo
molasses
a bit of bbq sauce (your brand of course)

Get the proportions right (it would be too easy for me to give them out, taste as you go). Add the sweaty veggies and put in the smoker. Hit them with the sweet blue for about 3 hours minimum.

Tastes better if done under a butt.

What are you smoking on? If you can use a two layer smoker, take a look at this guy's BBQ beans.

http://noexcusesbbq.com/recipes/bbq-beans-smoker-style

Thanks for the plug Bob. The secret to these is to catch all the drippings as they come off whatever you're cooking on the top rack.

I use canned beans and they turn out pretty damn good.

I use one can of each, drained well;

Kidneys
Navy
Pinto
Great Northern

I then finely dice;

1/2 and onion
1 green bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1 cored jalapeno

I "sweat" the green ingredients with a pinch of kosher and a little olive oil. Do not brown them, just a sweat to break down the fibers in the veggies.

Then add the following to the beans;

wet mustard
brown sugar
worchesteshire
dark karo
molasses
a bit of bbq sauce (your brand of course)

Get the proportions right (it would be too easy for me to give them out, taste as you go). Add the sweaty veggies and put in the smoker. Hit them with the sweet blue for about 3 hours minimum.

Tastes better if done under a butt.

Couldn't have said it better. I've since modified the recipe on my web site to leave out the Bush's beans (or whatever other "baked" beans we had on hand) and stick with the plain varieties. It isn't that hard to make a superior sauce to most of the canned varieties of "baked" beans out there, and the end result is far more colorful.

I have pulled pork leftovers in the freezer that I'll be adding.

:eek::eek: You have pulled pork leftovers?? Please tell me it's only because you're hoarding them and eating them in secret... ?? :biggrin:

Some great recipes, been meaning to try the Hog Apple for a while and now I have to add a few more to the list.

Hope I'm not violating anything here (don't think so)-let me know if I'm incorrect and I will delete.

Tried this at Eggs by the Bay last year, and they were fantastic. Tried them at home - they were good, but I think a little more practice would get better results. It's listed on their website under recipes.

Tangy Pit Beans
with Rib Tips
Matt Plut
San Leandro

(Much the same as "Sleeter Beans" with adding Rib tips) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 Tbls Prepared yellow mustard
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 1/3 cups Ketchup[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 ½ cups packed brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]½ cup molasses[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]½ tsp liquid smoke[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 ½ Tbls rib rub (whatever you’re using on the ribs today)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 cup diced onion[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 green, red or yellow bell pepper seeded and diced[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 (28-ounce) can pork & beans[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 (16 ounce) can chili seasoned beans[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 (16 ounce) can large red kidney beans, drained and rinsed[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, drained and rinsed[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 (16 ounce) can “other” beans of your choice, drained and rinsed[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sliced and diced rib tips from 2 racks of spareribs[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I multiplied this recipe by 4 for the Eggfest because I did 8 racks of ribs. Heat and mix the mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, liquid smoke and rib rub until everything is dissolved and yummy smelling. You can do all this while the rib tips are smoking in your egg. You want to simmer this on low heat and stir often to prevent it from burning and sticking to the pot. Add the cut up rib tips when completed and let it simmer for about and hour to let all the wonderful flavors get acquainted. When doing multiple batches, I like to mix in all the pretty colors of the bell peppers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rib Tips for Pit Beans[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The rib tips are the remains of the meat trimmed off the top of the St. Louis style ribs. Rub them as you do the ribs and smoke them in the Egg for three hours at about 225°F. Put them in a double layer of wide aluminum foil and pour enough of the foiling juice to cover the entire bottom of the foil and put back on the Egg for another hour. I just use equal parts of honey, apple juice and brown sugar melted in a small pot for the foiling juice. Put the rib tips back on the Egg for another hour at about 225-250°F to get the foiling juices boiling. After about an hour you can pull the rib tips off the grill and the bones should be breaking up and falling out. I take a steak knife along the edge of the bone and cutting alongside it remove the bone and attached gristle. After this is done I take the knife in the same direction in a V-pattern to remove the remaining small gristle. This should take care of all the trim work you need to do. Now slice the rib tips and cut them into bite size pieces and add to the Pit Beans.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

How cool is this... ask a dumb question and get recipies from real experts... I'm printing this thread.

Thanks everyone!

I have been thinking of trying Keri's Hog Apple Beans...but Just came across this in an Old Virginia cookbook that my husband's granny left in the house before we moved in..Sounds good.

1 pound dry Great Northerns
1 tbsp salt
1 cup sugar
3 strips bacon (you know I'll use more!)
2 tbsp butter

place beans in pan cover with cool water and soak overnight.
Drain and cover with fresh salted water. Cook over medium heat until barely tender. Preheat oven to 300.
Stir sugar and bacon, place in a cast iron dutch oven, top with butter. Bake for 3 hours uncovered unless it begins to burn (then cover).

I tried the link that Landarc posted over Presidents day weekend, with the addition of 2 jalapenos, and it turned out pretty farkin' good! Its definatley a keeper.

Back