MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Announcing a Pretty Good BBQ 2011, Dayton, Ohio - May 14-15, 2011

I wanted to get word out early this year, as I know people are already planning events here and there. We'll be having the 4th, yes 4th, annual Pretty Good BBQ in Dayton, Ohio, on May 14-15. It's a bit early this year, as it's the weekend after Mother's Day, and Mother's Day is as early as it can be this year.

What's a Pretty Good BBQ?
It's a bbq event in Dayton, Ohio, at the North Campus of the Dayton Vineyard Church. We'll be cooking 750 pounds of boston butts and brisket overnight on Saturday to Sunday. Along the way, the cooks will do demos of rib trimming, MOINK ball making, ABT stuffing, coffee roasting, and anything else we can come up with for men from the church to learn from (as well as the other cooks).

We had guys from, I think, 7 states last year. We're hoping for even more, and this year should continue to get smoother even. We'll have volunteers overnight for pit assistants, cleanup, whatever, and volunteers earlier on Sunday to start getting ready to serve. I've even had several guys from church say they were going to cook this year.

If you don't realize it, those of you that have done this before, you do impact a community. People are already asking me about it this year, and they do look forward to it very much, both attendees and servers.

I'd also be glad to hear any improvements cooks from last year would like to see for this year.

One of the things I really enjoyed last year was how the police came by so often, and, instead of just being there, joined us and ate our food, had fun and relaxed a bit. We fed them, the dispatchers and the emergency room crew at a local hospital overnight.

If you are interested and haven't done this before, just ask any questions you have!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

You guys are doing a good thing. I always tell people, "Feed your friends and enemies alike, it is hard to fight with people you eat with."
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
I wanted to get word out early this year, as I know people are already planning events here and there. We'll be having the 4th, yes 4th, annual Pretty Good BBQ in Dayton, Ohio, on May 14-15. It's a bit early this year, as it's the weekend after Mother's Day, and Mother's Day is as early as it can be this year.

What's a Pretty Good BBQ?
It's a bbq event in Dayton, Ohio, at the North Campus of the Dayton Vineyard Church. We'll be cooking 750 pounds of boston butts and brisket overnight on Saturday to Sunday. Along the way, the cooks will do demos of rib trimming, MOINK ball making, ABT stuffing, coffee roasting, and anything else we can come up with for men from the church to learn from (as well as the other cooks).

We had guys from, I think, 7 states last year. We're hoping for even more, and this year should continue to get smoother even. We'll have volunteers overnight for pit assistants, cleanup, whatever, and volunteers earlier on Sunday to start getting ready to serve. I've even had several guys from church say they were going to cook this year.

If you don't realize it, those of you that have done this before, you do impact a community. People are already asking me about it this year, and they do look forward to it very much, both attendees and servers.

I'd also be glad to hear any improvements cooks from last year would like to see for this year.

One of the things I really enjoyed last year was how the police came by so often, and, instead of just being there, joined us and ate our food, had fun and relaxed a bit. We fed them, the dispatchers and the emergency room crew at a local hospital overnight.

If you are interested and haven't done this before, just ask any questions you have!
If they're like me, they wanted a nap afterward.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I'm going to try and make it this year, Curt, but it's too early to know for sure.

BTW, I edited the thread title to add the location and dates.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I'm hoping to make it as well, because I know you need my WSMs to get the real quality Q.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
cmcadams

I don't know if we NEED the wsms, but it wouldn't be a PGBBQ without you, Clark!

And I hope you can make it, Ron.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)

Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Wampus

I'd like to help out on this one too.
Only a couple hours from the house and I'm all about DOING rather than just TALKING about doing stuff to help people out.

PM sent.

I'll keep you posted Curt.

GOOD CAUSE!
GOOD STUFF!

The Brethren to the rescue!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I believe we have Hunters Safety again that weekend.
I will let you know when that date is confirmed.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
chambersuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I believe we have Hunters Safety again that weekend.
I will let you know when that date is confirmed.
If BULL's not going, I'm not going! Don't let that keep you away, Bull.

Lord willing, I will be there again - and I pray that I can bring my son this time. Now that I am serving two churches, I have two councils I have to get permission from, but I think it's doable.

Wampus, if there is any way you can make this, do so. It's a blast.

Curt, do you need another smoker? I'm running low on wood, but can probably order some between now and then.

Clark, I'm hoping you're there to give me some more pointers on my WSM.

Ron, don't let Wampus being there scare you off

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
txschutte

Curt, this is always a great event, and is bragged about among Dive, Mike, and Bubba. Wyatt and I would love to be there, but alas, not gonna happen this year either. That's the weekend of a going away party for my son (takes off to BT one week later).

On another note, I have always thought this would be a great ministry tool for men in the community. I just may have to pick your brain and have a Great Plains version of this event.

All I can say is a great job to Curt and the participants.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
cmcadams

It's the guys that come to Ohio for it that are the ones that do all the hard stuff.

I hope you can make it, Dan, and I'd be glad to help with anything I can do get a PGBBQ in the Great Plains! The more the better. It was actually something of a dream of mine that these would pop up more and more across the country.

Livefire Whisky

Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Wampus

Awwww, crap. Chambers is going?

OK.....I'm in.
Dan, if you do end up bringing your son, let me know as Guerin may be interested in going if he's got company his age.

Sounds like a good cause and a great time. Heck......all night BBQ? What's NOT to love?

Ooooo....can I give a class on EATING MOINK balls? I've developed the perfect technique!!

I know it's a bit off yet, but let me know what you need. I've got PLENTY of cherry and oak and live behind an apple orchard, so I will also be grabbing some apple as well. They are currently cutting down/back on their trees over there, so there's plenty to be had. I'll bring a truckload of splits if you guys need it.

I can also bring my drum or kettles for the "cook's cooks" if needed.

I've got it on my calendar!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
cmcadams

Glad to have you... We've had new guys each year, and I hope it continues.

As we get closer, we'll have a better idea of what's what, but I'm sure wood is appreciated by all.

Livefire Whisky

Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Wampus... feel free to bring as much fruitwood as you like. The stickburners will be there in force.
Hope to be able to pull the gear making the trip out there again.

Last year... Pretty Good BBQ 2010 - 23 feet of Langs1

[And Harbormaster's handful of WSM's ]

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 01-10-2011 at 10:05 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Lord willing, I will be there again - and I pray that I can bring my son this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Dan, if you do end up bringing your son, let me know as Guerin may be interested in going if he's got company his age.
I'm pretty sure I'm coming, and like last year I'll be bringing my 13 year old with me. It's a great experience for boys his age to see adults living their faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Clark, I'm hoping you're there to give me some more pointers on my WSM.
I would be happy too, although I don't do anything extraordinary, I just do it all well!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote