Pre-rubbing ribs, to wrap or not to wrap?

thull

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my annual, non-sanctioned work-related (and work-paid-for) competition. Usually, I slather and rub my ribs the night before, then wrap up in plastic. I load these into a gigantor Ziploc and back into the cooler overnight.

I'm not expecting to have the usual 3rd set of hands it seems to take to do this for 5-6 slabs without making a mess. Keep in mind that this is outside without a ton of access to cleanup facilities. At night. After loadup, multi-hour drive, setup, etc.

So, I'm wondering, could I just stack them in the big bag after putting the rub on? Does the wrap do something for me that I'm not thinking of?

Cheers!

For my rub, I take the racks, wash and dry them. No slather. I just put the rub on, then stack them up in a ziploc bag. Then put the ziploc into a pan and into the cooler or fridge. This process has always worked for me.

My rub's pretty basic, equal parts salt and sugar plus a bunch of other spices. The ribs don't tend to drain a lot of liquid while wrapped.

Depends on how many parts salt to how many parts Other

for instance I think I figured out my BuTT Glitter to have maybe 22/12 parts of "other" for the 3 parts of salt so its relatively low in salt. So I will let mine sit a while if i have to but like the results better if they don't sit. Un scented Trash bags are nice bit i do bulk

Back