Lang smokers

W

Wildcat

Ok, as promised I've got a lot of questions and will have more down the road so here goes.

First a little background. I'm retired, single and have lots of free time but I'm kind of tied down, Mom has early alzheimers and I live with her helping her out until it's time for something else what ever that is. So that keeps me close to home.

When I said I was a rookie I met a rookie to large smokers and comprtition BBQ, I'm no rookie to BBQ. Years ago I owned a small country store and one day my dad came over and we smoked some ribs on the grill outside the store for lunch. Everybody said something about it that day so we started out with a barrel grill/smoker and started selling pork shoulder, ribs and pork chrops. Before you knew it the BBQ took off and it carried the rest of the store for 9 years.

I've been thinking about a Lang 84 Deluxe for a couple years for two things, to use in competition and a road side BBQ set up. My cousin bought a large building just down the road and is putting several business inside it. I thought about setting up in the parking lot with the smoker and a couple tents, there are several set up in the area like that. I understand I need to go though the health dept for licenses and permits for this and plan to do it.

I'm now thinking of getting either a Lang 84 Deluxe of ever a Twin 84 Deluxe. The reason for the Twin is it's part of the show. Think about it, people driving down the road will see it because of it's size and shape of the twin barrels and see a little smoke wondering what the heck that is before seeing it's BBQ. That's caught their eye and their curosity will cause them to come in for a bite.

I've ever thought about getting a trailer set-up with a Lang smoker in the back. That will be better health dept wise but I don't know if you can use them in competition.

I'm serious about this and will be getting the smoker sometime in late Feb. I also have a wood supplier lined up and have 7 racks of hickory, white oak and apple wood drying out now with orders for more racks later this winter.

What does everybody think of this, is there a better way? I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks.

BTW, I'm already thinking about more questions after I find out what others have to say.:smile:

There's a bunch of Lang owners here Wildcat. They'l reply when they see this. Just my input, but I've been doing some research regarding food safety standards and licensing. chad (small c) has done much more. In Minnesota it seams that if you don't have stainless steel everything, you may have a challenge on your hands with the department of health inspector. The rules here clearly state that SS is not required, just strongly recomended. I know from previous experience owning a small cafe that the NSF stamp on your equipment makes a favorable impression on inspectors. Wish I could help more, and I definately don't intend to discourage you. Would like to do the same some day.

hi, this is a great idea, and i would love to do something like this also but there are all kinds of restrictions here. in my research of it i found that the best way to go would be some kind of trailer with a fully enclosed kitchen and serving station, and the pit on the back such as the one the guys at www.ckjerkshack.com have. good luck!
phil

The licensing and health dept. issues are local/state...you don't have to have stainless everywhere, but you do have to find out what the requirements are...here in FL we can download the rules from the web for either state or county.

Competition...no problem with a trailer mounted rig...inside or out as long as it burn wood and/or charcoal and the gas bottle for any propane assistance is disconnnected.

I couldn't find anything on having to have stainless in Kentucky, but if you are going to be inspected by the Health Dept, it looks like there are a lot of other regulations that will be a chore to comply with. Now that said, I really like my Lang, and because of the way it cooks and how easy it is to clean, I think that it is a great cooker for what you are looking to do. That twin 84 really is an eye catcher, and this is something that I never considered. My "little" 60 sure gets a lot of attention when I'm out and about. Good luck with your plan, and if you have any questions about your rig, just post a message.

I have a Lang 84. Like yourself my team is new to competition. The smoker gives you lots of bang for the buck. After practicing with it for a little while we have learned to keep the temp the same on both sides, regulate the temp to exactly 225 and not have it vary by more than +/- 3* to 4* and keep wood usage to about 80 to 90 Lbs for a 12 hour smoke. This smoker is not automatic but it is easy to learn with some practice. Teams like Big Island BBQ and Tom and Josh's Orgasmic Slabs use them. My next rig will be a Spicewine but for now the Lang is doing nicely. If we don't improve our scores this year, it's definetly not the smokers fault.

Back