MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #10471
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

Well, step one is, buy a barrel. I have now done that. Question. If I am going with the lid and ring instead of Webber lid. Should i stay with one rack or is two ok?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #10472
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can still do Two racks If you want to 7 & 14 " down from the rim

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #10473
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Those pics of pappy's basket made me make another one.
Daggum it. Tapatalk won't upload pics.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #10474
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

You want to drill your intakes for sure before the burn, otherwise it won't get enough airflow to get really hot especially toward the bottom.
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #10475
JimmyK
Found some matches.

Thanks Hoosier1960!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #10476
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default New Mods on latest drum

2 hr delay from school...time to post my newest TrashCan.
stack.jpg
Threaded a pipe into the stock bung for a stack--only use with my dryer-vent mod.
dolly.jpg
Wanted wheels but did not want to drill into the UDS bottom so I made a redneck drum dolly with some dumpster dived wheels and an old UDS lid that was scrap. Works great!
thermo.jpg
Always use a cheapo turkey/candy fryer thermo. Picked up a fitting from the Depot so it slides in perfectly and gives me temp at the center.
ique.jpg
Redneck waterproofing for my Ique 110. Good enough hanging under a table or tarp!
uds.jpg
Finished product on the dolly and with my Anti-weather dryer vent mod! 2 racks inside--works like a champ. It's amazing what you can do on the cheap, with your own hands + a little creativity and knowledge from this thread!
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #10477
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Well i finaly made it too the end after 3 weeks,699 pages,10476 post and i did it without skipping a single page.. There is a ton of info and some great ideas on here now to start getting things together for my build will try and post some pics as i go
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #10478
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnQ View Post
Well i finaly made it too the end after 3 weeks,699 pages,10476 post and i did it without skipping a single page.. There is a ton of info and some great ideas on here now to start getting things together for my build will try and post some pics as i go
If I had an extra trophy it would be yours. I would never have done that. My hats off to you. But seriously you only only have to look at a page or two to figure out how to make a K.I.S.S. drum
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #10479
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

honestly my build was already planed before i ever started reading this thread i did it just to do it i deff learned a thing or two and got a few good ideas along the way so it was worth it. dont think i would do it again tho lol
HookedOnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #10480
sethga
Got Wood.

Sorry on the late replies .. can't search so hard time finding my post :)

Just added PID control to my UDS. I already had one for my CharGriller, that I use for Sous Vide too .. I wanted a 12volt one so I built this guy.

Documented my UDS build here .. thanks again to all who contributed in this thread!
http://www.ice8420.com/blog/2013/01/...ker-uds-build/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslauver View Post
Sethga, Did you powder coat your drum yourself, or did you have someone do it for you?
I have been looking into building my own oven for powder coating. However I am interested in what it would cost to have it done.

I had it powdercoated. I have a friend that has a powdercoating business - Precision Powdercoating in South Jersey (Philly area). GOod luck finding an oven that will fit a UDS
sethga is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #10481
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

How far off the charcoal basket should a diffuser rack be? Any set distance from the top?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #10482
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
How far off the charcoal basket should a diffuser rack be? Any set distance from the top?
I made mine between the basket & bottom grate (I have 2 grates).

Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #10483
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:

Awesome job, now build it and show off some of the pron..

I think its time to represent a little Virgina Q this weekend.......

Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #10484
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

OK doing another brisket tomorrow, placed the diffuser @ 14" and the cooking grate is @ 8", using a perforated pizza pan. I can always remove it.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #10485
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
If I had an extra trophy it would be yours. I would never have done that. My hats off to you. But seriously you only only have to look at a page or two to figure out how to make a K.I.S.S. drum
Quote:
honestly my build was already planed before i ever started reading this thread i did it just to do it i deff learned a thing or two and got a few good ideas along the way so it was worth it. dont think i would do it again tho lol
That's petty awesome. I got to page 20 and said, "Fark it" and started buying parts and building. I purposefully kept it simple as I knew I would learn a few things.

Next one will be powder coated and anodized with chrome billited parts.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker