• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mini WSM Probe Thermometer Grill Grate Mount/Hack?

C

condit

After building and smoking with our new Mini WSM, I know I'll be using this thing all the time. For my first cook, I used a probe thermo (which I like) and ran it through an alum foil ball which was placed on the grill grate.

What I'd like to do in the future is to make some kind of a mount that is either attached to the grate itself or the side of the Tamale pan and it will hold part of the thermo and allow the probe to either hang down or stick out straight without coming into contact with anything.

Has anyone "rigged" something like this up yet? Any ideas or pics?

there have been many differant setups. almost anything that will let your probe through. i use my remote just for the meat though. i suppose that i might rig up something to use a candy temp gauge or whatever to check grate temps. many use the hollow rod used in making lamps. some drill out a bolt.

The hardware used to hang pictures on walls work excellent :roll: What is use in mine

I saw a picture here somewhere if a neat little one a guy had bolted on his grate, it more or less was an alligator clip sticking straight up, but for me more than 1 would be better. Hmm maybe a brass freeze plug with the clips screwed to it would work ?

Bill

If I want to monitor the grate temp on my wsm, i just slide the thermo probe through a wine cork and lay it on the grate. I can position it in the available space and the round shape rests nicely between two of the bars of the grate without rolling around.

On my 22.5 WSM, I just drop the 6" long probe down into the top vent hole.
The probe has a 90 degree bend on it that ensures the tip is hovering "in mid air" in the dome. But I'm curious to see what others have come up with.

Bob

I use the hardware from a set of helping hands. I'm sure you can rig up something with alligator clips otherwise.

a75d7df5fc0471267314.jpg

Another option would be to get a ring terminal, say 1/4" hole, crimp it to the aligator clip. Now take a screw with some fender washers and wing nut, put the screw through the ring terminal and fasten to the grate, next bend the ring terminal to 90 degrees so it sits up like Tulse's and your done.
Seems like a lot but once you get it done it is easy removed and usable on other grates.
Just a thought after seeing Tulse's pic

Ok after pondering this for a second you could also take a short piece of bare metal I am thinking uncoated coat hanger and crimp the ring terminal to that then also crimp it to the alligator clip and do all your bending with that. again just a thought.

Wooden clothes pin drill a hole through the tails.

I think we have a winner. Simple, free, does exactly what's needed. I'm sold already. Just tried it.

7/32" bit for the Maverick probe.

Back