I finally located a drum this past weekend :-D. Now I am in the process of collecting all of the needed parts to put it all together once I get the burn out done. The drum has a thing brown/tan lining that should burn out easily since it is already scratched down to bare metal in one spot on the bottom. Here are some cell phone pics.:-D

IMG00076-20100123-1514.jpg

One of these days I will finish painting that door and wall :rolleyes:

IMG00083-20100123-1523.jpg

"One of these days I will finish painting that door and wall :rolleyes: "

You do know you do have to have priorities don't you??? DRUM first!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Paul B
SS UDS

FYI... Just got back from the local Wally World and they have the 22.5" replacement grates for $12.00. I do not believe they are as heavy duty as the Weber replacements but they are pretty nice for the price

I grabbed one of those for mine, very flimsy. Sears Hardware had one for $10.99, I'm probably going to go grab a couple of of those, they seemed a lot sturdier.

HD and Lowe's have genuine Weber replacements for only a couple bucks more. Just picked up a 22.5" hinged replacement the other day for $19.

Seasoning with a Jack on the rocks

:biggrin: OK!

Couldn't wait, so I brought my drum home from work and lathered it up with lard. Removed all the caps and the valve and fired it up with around 8 lbs. of charcoal. it's chugging along at around 500. I can hear the lard bubbling and cooking off.

The only downside: the lid I spent forever trying to get to fit perfect has now developed a "twist" and doesn't sit flush. It touches all the way around, just not metal to metal like it was. I guess some more hammer adjustments are in order.

Come Saturday it's on!

As soon as I get the pix off my camera, I'll post with comments.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum!

mineral oil drum

I just finished reading the whole thread last night. I got a Free unlined food grade mineral oil drum from a bakery I deliver to. Question is what do I have to do to the drum before I start my build? Do I have to burn it out or can I just season it with the oil that is in it ?

First cook.

just fired up the UDS. I'm using Kingsford competition and hickory chunks. Letting temp stabilize and then I'll throw on the pork shoulder.

Since I'm watching the grill today, I'll get the pictures off my camera and post some build shots.

Question on computing COST of building my UDS. I just purchased an oxygen-acetylene welding system.

Does this count in my total, or can I split the cost amoung future UDS that I may or may not build?

I just finished reading the whole thread last night. I got a Free unlined food grade mineral oil drum from a bakery I deliver to. Question is what do I have to do to the drum before I start my build? Do I have to burn it out or can I just season it with the oil that is in it ?

Whatever you're comfortable with, really. I got a brand new unlined drum and still drilled my intake holes and burnt it out with about two full armloads of oak. The wife and myself feel pretty confident about cooking in the drum now. She wants me to paint it pretty soon, but that's another matter entirely. :)

Photos and descriptions of my build.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dboxx13/UdsResize?feat=directlink

As promised, here are photos of my build. I got a little excited during assembly and missed some shots of the hardware.

With the exception of the handle screws and the two 3/8-inch bolts for the temperature probes, everything is stainless.

I'll take some more photos as the day goes on and the pork cooks.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Dave

Hanging meat

Has anybody drilled holes in their UDS so that they can hang meat from rebar in their UDS? I have heard people recommend this so that you can fit more meat in one barrel.

I've used mineral oil drums in the past. Assuming it's totally clean inside right now (no mineral oil residue sitting in the bottom) just do a rinse out with tide+hot water, the do your build, and then do a seasoning burn before your first cook (spray PAM inside & let it get above about 425º). You should be good to go then, IMO.

Has anybody drilled holes in their UDS so that they can hang meat from rebar in their UDS? I have heard people recommend this so that you can fit more meat in one barrel.

There was somebody in this thread who did just that. But you'll need to dramatically increase the height of the drum or you'll burn your meat.

New to the site, I was looking for info on a home made (cheap) bbq/smoker, my search led me to the UDS and then to this huge thread... I wasn't going to post till I finished it but it may take me another week to do that, I'm only on page 143.

I have acquired a drum and have all the materials. Using mostly this http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=662611&postcount=86 post by Norco Redneck I have made my basket and drilled my holes. Just need to get the drum clean, but there is a burn ban in effect so I am thinking about sand blasting the it so I can get this thing done. Thank you all for info, this is the place to go for building a UDS.

Thank you all for info, this is the place to go for building a UDS.

Yes, yes it is. :) Norco's method will set you right. I followed it to the letter except in building the fire basket (wrapped expanded metal on the outside of a weber coal grate) and I haven't stuck any hardware on the intakes yet (using Bigmista's patented Bunched Up Foil methodology). Works pretty well. :-D

Question on computing COST of building my UDS. I just purchased an oxygen-acetylene welding system.

Does this count in my total, or can I split the cost amoung future UDS that I may or may not build?

No. Any tools used for the build, including the aforementioned torch set, a new SawZall, a Milwaukee drill, an HVLP painting system, a pressure washer, a sand blaster, a 250 amp Miller MIG welder, a lathe, and a Bridgeport milling machine are all things the average homeowner needs anyway, and should in no way be applied towards the price of the UDS.

but there is a burn ban in effect so I am thinking about sand blasting the it so I can get this thing done. Thank you all for info, this is the place to go for building a UDS.

burn barrels are illegal in Washington so this did not happen:biggrin:
3918637354_ea3dec5e39_b.jpg

Back