christmas digital thermometer

A

a55bag

I am looking to buy a digi thermo for monitoring the drum and the meat for my friend nothing too expensive nothing too cheap either any suggestions.

Brother, If you want to monitor the drum temp and the meat temp I know of only one. Google Maverick et 73. You can't go wrong with this one.

NUTZ

Wow, this is something I need for sure. If you all are sayin its good it must be.

ET 73 is the way to go for both the pit & meat temps. Depending on the type of smoker, you might want to check out the longer (5 foot long!) probes.

What is the diff between an ET7 and a ET73?

I just got the ET-7 and love it!
The ET-73 has two probes 1 for the chamber temp (has a clip and 1 for the meat temp.
The ET-7 comes with two probes, both for meats.
The ET-7 has a larger display.

I like the ET-7 as I think it is a bit more versatile.

I just got the ET-7 and love it!
The ET-73 has two probes 1 for the chamber temp (has a clip and 1 for the meat temp.
The ET-7 comes with two probes, both for meats.
The ET-7 has a larger display.

I like the ET-7 as I think it is a bit more versatile.

Can you clarify? I'm interested in one of these two, but I do want to monitor the chamber. I assume the second probe of the ET-7 can be placed in the chamber, but can you set alarms if the temp drops on this probe? What are the disadvantages of the ET-7? I'm sure there are several Brethren who have both who can elaborate. I do like the idea of a larger display. I hate having to pull out my glasses in order to check my probe. :shock:

Gore;1118741 I do like the idea of a larger display. I hate having to pull out my glasses in order to check my probe. :shock:[/QUOTE said:
I posted a link on the first page and you can see what the display looks like. No way you'll need reading glasses with the ET-7.

I use the second probe to monitor the grate temp sometimes. For the BGE, the Guru does it for me. I just use a piece of apple wood with a hole drilled in it and place it on the grate. Or, you can use it to monitor two different kinds of meat, etc.

It has alarms that can be set for each probe individually.

Can you clarify? I'm interested in one of these two, but I do want to monitor the chamber. I assume the second probe of the ET-7 can be placed in the chamber, but can you set alarms if the temp drops on this probe? What are the disadvantages of the ET-7? I'm sure there are several Brethren who have both who can elaborate. I do like the idea of a larger display. I hate having to pull out my glasses in order to check my probe. :shock:
Yes you can set temp alarm on each probe, as well as types of meat, a timer for each probe, etc..
It is designed for monitoring two different types of meat cooking at once, but you can also check air/great temps with the 2nd.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...n=1055398&s=home-garden&qid=1261330313&sr=1-1

It is my understanding that the ET73 will tell you that the meat temp is 173 or whatever. The et 7 you set for Beef then Choose well done, medium or rare. When that predetermined temp is hit , the alarm goes off. The ET 73 will alarm when the temp goes either above or below a temp you select. You select an exact temp, not a degree of doneness. If you want to get some sleep, set the cooking chamber temp to 260 deg. It will alarm if it goes below that and (hopefully) wake you up to add more fuel. To sum it up, the ET73 will alarm when the set temp is hit on the way up or down. The ET 7 only alarms when the set degree (Beef well, med or rare) is hit. If the fire goes out before hitting that temp, no alarm.

NUTZ

Back