Flemmish Beef Stew and Pot Pies

T

The Pickled Pig

I made a Flemmish beef stew and mashed potatoes yesterday. I had pleny of leftovers to work with and made a few pot pie type dishes. My favorite is the traditional pie crust (2nd pic).

1.jpg

7.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

That looks delicious, glad were eating in a few minutes here.

That is true comfort food. Bravo. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That looks excellent!:cool:

I too hope the recipe gets posted.

Man I am feeling comfortable just looking at the pictures.:eusa_clap

I really truly don't no what to say? maybe why did we all not have a phone call invited to eat,,, I was home ALLLLL day long,,, that stuff.... MMmmm looks good!!!

The recipe for the stew is below. The caraway seeds are key to the flavor. I used cubed chuck instead of Bottom Round for this cook.

For the pot pies:

The first pie was traditional store bought pie crust. I layered mashed potatoes, stew, and gravy.

The second was crescent roll dough from the tube pressed into a couple of ramekins for cooking. The same ingredients were layered.

The third was just stew and gravy in puff pastry shells.

Flemish Beef Stew Recipe

Ingredients
  • Butter
  • 2 LBS Bottom Round, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
  • 3/4 LBS Small White Button Mushrooms (slice if large)
  • 6 TBSP Flour
  • 2 Bottles Brown Ale or Dark Beer
  • 1/4 Heavy Cream
  • 4 Large Carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • 1 Large Onions, chopped
  • 1 Clove Garlic, minced
  • 2 TBSP Dijon Mustard
  • 1 TSP Caraway Seeds
  • 1 TSP Salt
  • 3/4 TSP Black Pepper, freshly ground
  • 1 Bay Leaf
Brown beef in butter in skillet over medium heat (5-10 minutes), turning frequently.Transfer to Dutch oven.

Using reserved juices from beef, cook mushrooms in skiller over medium heat until they give off their liquid and it evaporates to a glaze. Sprinkle 3 TBSP flour over the mushrooms and cooked undisturbed for 10 seconds. Stir and cook for another 30 seconds. Pour in ale or beer and bring to a boil. Whisk constantly to reduce foaming until thickened and bubbling. Transfer to the Dutch oven.

Add carrots, onion, garlic, mustard, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and bay leaf to the Dutch oven. Stir to combine.

Cook in Dutch oven on low until the beef and carrots are tender . Remove the bay leaf. Add cream and remaining flour to thicken gravy. Stir until smooth and thickened.

Back