Craigslist score! Thought I snagged a Performer... but not really sure [edited title]

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Picked her up for $20 today, after lurking on CL for many moons. Not as sweet as deguerre's recent deal, but I'm easy to please.

The date stamp on the lid says "DT".

The charcoal grate may need to be replaced. A few dings on the red bowl have some rust, but have not rusted through - plan to sand them and hit with some high heat paint. The bowl is "in round" and the lid seems to have a good fit/seal. Checked the thermo and it registered "test" (marked where 212F should be on the dial), so it works.

I noticed that there is only one hole in the bowl for the ash to drop in the ash catcher. Did not see any vent cover for the hole in the bowl - it might have fallen off at some point. If there is only hole, how hot can this get? Doesn't seem to be a way to regulate how much air hits the coals (I'm no expert, so feel free to educate me)

[sorry if the pics don't look great... best I could do with my Blackberry]

No propane starter but I am fine with that. The table/cart seems to be in good shape wiout any rust.

Since she will end with a few black spots of the black grill paint, I will christen her "Ladybug".

Worst case scenario, I paid $20 for a good Weber lid and a table that may be converted to a UDS cart. Still a bargain in my book.

Will clean her up good and then get her dirty again (in a good way)! :-D

Attachments

• performer 1.jpg
    performer 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 516
  • performer 3.jpg
    performer 3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 505
  • performer 4.jpg
    performer 4.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Nice score "DT" is 2003. There's only one hole is the bowl for ash to drop?

I "think" what you have there is a Weber Platinum that someone put a different lid on. Then again, I've been known to be wrong more than once. Either way - nice score!

Oh ok... still happy with my $20 Platinum:-D

Yeah... i can't figure out why the bowl has only 1 small oval hole... my other Weber kettle has 3 4-hole intkaes in the bowl... will have to do some research I guess.

Dont know what you got but $20 for a full sized weber with table is a great deal.

A dirty grill is fine, as long as its your OWN dirt.

not sure why that matters, but it does to me. Goes with Bathrooms as well :)

Nice buy.

Nice score!
Never seen a Weber with 1 intake hole like that.
I love the name LadyBug!:thumb:

The SS table is what that is all about. Anything else can be taken care of. :cool:

I have 1 just like that. The small hole that I can see in the picture is where my propane starter line comes in. Mine holds a little propane tank on the right side under the table. Also my table opens up to where you can store charcoal and turn on the gas to light the coals.

I have 1 just like that. The small hole that I can see in the picture is where my propane starter line comes in. Mine holds a little propane tank on the right side under the table. Also my table opens up to where you can store charcoal and turn on the gas to light the coals.

Mine looks like an old Performer without the propane hookup... not like it was taken out, but never even factory installed. Again, I'm okay with that. I still don't understand why there are no other vents/intakes or any way of adjusting air flow in the bowl. Do you have vents in the bowl on yours? I see some air vent mods in the near future, but that will be the topic of another thread:-D

Just looks like an incomplete bottom that got away from Weber on the assembly line. You could add intakes to that one, or even just drop in another used kettle if you happen to find one. For $20, I'd be more than happy with it too. The cart alone is worth more than that.

Great score.

Bob

I don't know why yours doesn't have the normal intake vents mine has them. I can see on the bottom of your ash catcher where the handle to adjust the vents went. I don't know what model mine is because I got it for free from a house that I was cleaning out after the renters moved out. Can your table top open up? What does it look like under it if it can.

Attachments

• IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 154
Just looks like an incomplete bottom that got away from Weber on the assembly line. You could add intakes to that one, or even just drop in another used kettle if you happen to find one. For $20, I'd be more than happy with it too. The cart alone is worth more than that.

Great score.

Bob

Exactly. If you drop another kettle bottom in, you won't be able to to use the starter if you ever decide to get one (at least not without cutting a hole), but I would not let that stop me.

In fact, I probably would not even fuss when the starter. Just use it like it's a platinum. For 20 bucks and some spare parts, it's a great deal!

Great score.

Bob

Or maybe call/e-mail Weber?

I've learned from the US Brethren that they provide their customers well.
Over here Weber does a very good job if I may do say so.
I would contact Weber and explain what your problem is.

Back