MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Questions about chamber sealer bags / pouches

Just picked up a Vacmaster VP210 after wanting a chamber vac for quite a few years. You'd think I would have done some homework/research in that time, but of course I didn't.

Anyways, looking for thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc on bags/pouches. Brands to look for (or stay away from) ? What mil/thickness is the recommended/preferred minimum? Cons/benefits of going even thicker ?

Lastly, when buying vac suck bags previously, I almost always bought mixed combo sizes, either in bags or rolls (pint/quart/gallon). Maybe I'm searching the wrong way, but I don't seem to be able to find that kind of thing with pouches. Just seeing single size lots of 500 or 1000 bags. Anyone have a link to combo packs ?

One other thing, bag sizes. Anyone know the rough equivalent to pint, quart and gallon bags like for vac suck machines ? Or, what sizes have you found that work best for you ?
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Chamber bags are so cheap, I haven't seen an assortment offered like they do for the micro-channel bags.

Check https://www.sorbentsystems.com/vacuum_bags.html

Pint pouches are usually 6 X 10
Quart pouches are usually 8 X 12

Last edited by IamMadMan; 07-26-2018 at 06:25 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
55Drum
Knows what a fatty is.

When I got my VP-215...I rummaged around on the internet and finally picked a site (can't remember now)...bought 3,000 bags in 3 different sizes for $211.00....at the time didn't realize I got 4 mil whereas 3 mil would have been fine....GL
55Drum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
hogsbreath
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had Vacmaster and a Foods Saver brands (note, not the PRO series). I have had to pitch both.
A friend who processes his own deer recommended LEM to me.
I bought their MAXVAC 500 (low end) vac bagger. Couldn't be happier. It can operate 5 hours continuously with out overheating.
These guys cater to people who process their own meat. Grinders, slicers, sausage stuffers, spices and yes, vacuum baggers.

HJere is a link:
https://www.lemproducts.com/category...m-sealers-bags

Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Go 5 mil or 4 mil if you are freezing stuff. Rummaging can pierce through the thinner 3mils. I had a regular vac sealer and I rarely used it. Got the VP215 and use it ALL the time and only buy meat on sale now. Has saved me so much cash. You'll love it!
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
jstrand
Full Fledged Farker

Here is a variety pack.
https://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited....r-Bags_c67.htm
jstrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the replies and the info. I like that variety pack, but I'm thinking that I want to go with 4 mil bags.

Might just see about setting up a group buy kind of thing. Get 1000 each of the three sizes, roughly pint, quart and gallon; divide them up and ship them to others.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
razorbrewer
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

So the only reason to buy a chamber style vac is to be able to vacuum seal liquids, correct? Or are there other advantages over the standard vac machines?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
For Sale: J.R. Enterprises Charcoal Grill
razorbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbrewer View Post
So the only reason to buy a chamber style vac is to be able to vacuum seal liquids, correct? Or are there other advantages over the standard vac machines?

From what I've read, chamber sealers pull a better vacuum, can handle moist foods without having to par freeze, can handle dry, powdery stuff like spices/rubs and can also quick marinate proteins. Also, the bags are much cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Bumping this up for kicks. I carved up and vac sealed a 24 lb turkey last night along with 2 gallons of gravy. I had to break open a 2nd bundle of Vacmaster bags that I had ordered and were delivered on August 1st. 1000 bags in 4 packs of 250 each.

About 20 mins later, it finally hit me that I've used more than 250 freaking vac bags since August 1st. I say "more than" because I've also used up some of my existing store of channel bags as well.

But jeez, 250 freaking bags ? Net cost of which is $13.60. That's more bags than I did in years with the 3 or 4 Foodsaver's that fell apart.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Not just liquid, but juicey meats. The standard vac will suck grease and juice into the sealing bar and not seal. You can get by with with standard, but if you have the $$$ a chamber vac is the way to go.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

If the OP is happy with the waffle style, Foodsaver type bags, get after it. Those work equally as well as slick chamber bags. I usually keep 4 sizes of chamber bags, but every so often I need something in between, and I get out the 11" Foodsaver type roll and make a custom bag.
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Then there is the savings of bag costs as well.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
crpngdth2001
On the road to being a farker

I've been thinking about a chamber sealer as well. My only concern is larger items like summer sausage logs. Those casings I use are 12 inches long and probably 3-4 inches in diameter. Would something like that fit in a chamber sealer?
crpngdth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #15
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpngdth2001 View Post
I've been thinking about a chamber sealer as well. My only concern is larger items like summer sausage logs. Those casings I use are 12 inches long and probably 3-4 inches in diameter. Would something like that fit in a chamber sealer?

They come in different sizes. I have the VP210 and it's chamber dimensions are 11.25” x 15.25” x 5”. So yes, 12 x 4 inches would fit.