MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl
Default Uds chicken practice

1st off, I only had 4 thighs. Didn't feel like thawing a whole package.

Used some Plowboys Yardbird for seasonings. 1st time using it...love it! Ran at 250 for first hour. Pulled chicken outta the pan after an hour and placed on the uds grill. Bumped up the temp to 275 for the next hour. Glazed the chicken with about 15 minutes before pulling off.

Verdict: great flavor, bite through skin. The skin still had some soggieness to it, almost rubbery. But, bite through. How do I avoid that? Or is that just the way it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180203_115804.jpg (63.9 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg 20180203_120403.jpg (60.3 KB, 407 views)
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

Very nice color, looks great.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Looks real good!!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

If you go a little longer and a little hotter in the steam pan and shorter direct, you can probably get the skin to render better. Otherwise the bite looks good. You'll want to clean up the shape of those pieces for a comp though.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

try kicking the temperature up to 325. no reason chicken should take more than an hour on a drum
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
If you go a little longer and a little hotter in the steam pan and shorter direct, you can probably get the skin to render better. Otherwise the bite looks good. You'll want to clean up the shape of those pieces for a comp though.
I will try that on the next practice. I agree with the looks. Can definitely use some more practice on my chicken trimming skills.
Weber Performer, Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, East Texas Smoker RK250, Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke

Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeyton89 View Post
try kicking the temperature up to 325. no reason chicken should take more than an hour on a drum
Is that 325 direct or in a pan for the hour?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #8
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
Is that 325 direct or in a pan for the hour?
I put it in a pan so it can "take shape" for about 25-30 minutes. then put it on the grill. This is not what I do, but if you're looking for a good start follow this technique. Brad has probably won more cooking chicken on a can than anyone in the country.

http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/b...tition-thighs/
bpeyton89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

i am going to critique you in an effort to help you improve so don't take it personally as i actually suck at chicken, but... as you know your trimming and size are off. only four pieces i know but if you are in a competition and you have four or forty, try to get them the same shape and size. the sauce is also uneven and blotchy in thickness and color. cameras do weird things but some pieces look too carmelized. overall i think they all look too dark.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
i am going to critique you in an effort to help you improve so don't take it personally as i actually suck at chicken, but... as you know your trimming and size are off. only four pieces i know but if you are in a competition and you have four or forty, try to get them the same shape and size. the sauce is also uneven and blotchy in thickness and color. cameras do weird things but some pieces look too carmelized. overall i think they all look too dark.
Thank you for your reply rookiedad. I get you on all of it. Pay more attention to the trimming. Lighter on the sauce or should I thin it out more? I usually cut the sauce with apple juice. I guess not enough. I appreciate the criticism.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

You can thin with apple juice or get a sauce that is thinner out of the bottle.

Agree with rookiedad, a bit dark, uneven, and thick sauce.

Much better than when I started though!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #12
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

That's a tightly covered pan, right? That's the key. If it's not bite through, keep it sealed longer.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote