MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
NapalmRunner
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Interesting article about the dreaded stall

Not sure where i needed to post this, it's a pretty good read..

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...the_stall.html

Mod Note:
This thread has been scrubbed by the Moderators to remove off-topic posts and all of the personal attacks and bickering. If any of your posts were deleted it is because they were either off topic or part of the attacks and bickering, or were collateral damage of those attacks and bickering.

There is some good content here so please keep any further discussion civil and on topic. Any off topic posts or violations of our rules will be deleted immediately without notification. If it gets out of control again the thread will be scrubbed again and locked.

Last edited by Ron_L; 10-29-2011 at 05:49 PM..
NapalmRunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very thought provoking as to why.

Doesn't change the fact that the stall is our friend and is when the magic is happening.

Thanks for the link.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I've been trying to tell people that same thing for years, and they all thought I was crazy!...finally, validation.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
landarc

The experiment as written is flawed fundamentally. In comparing a sponge to fat, and then to meat, the test essentially denies the effect of the collagen and how it encompasses the fibers of meat. If the collagen is not rendered, the moisture retained within the meat does not escape, as it is encapsulated within the collagen and cellular structure of the meat.

Further, a sponge in not similar to meat on several levels. While a great deal of moisture obviously is evaporated from the meat, and evaporative cooling is no doubt a part of the process resulting in the stall, it does not deny the roll that rendering the collagen is a part of the stall. I think the article, while interesting, does nothing to change the fact that it is best to start cooking early. And have a few pounds of vac-packed pulled pork in the fridge, ready to roll, just in case.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Stall? What is a stall?

Cook it till it's done and stop worrying about what happens between the time the meat goes on the pit and the time it comes off the pit.

It takes as long as it takes. Wanna speed it up? Cook at a higher temperature.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Does injectng fluids into large cuts prolong the stall?
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
I will answer that by saying I can't answer that.

I have never injected a piece of meat. I like the taste of meat.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

I'll have to go back later and read it more carefully but I did a quick look... interesting..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokainmuskoka View Post
My experience is the opposite, but, I foil. And according to this article, that would be correct.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The experiment as written is flawed fundamentally. In comparing a sponge to fat, and then to meat, the test essentially denies the effect of the collagen and how it encompasses the fibers of meat. If the collagen is not rendered, the moisture retained within the meat does not escape, as it is encapsulated within the collagen and cellular structure of the meat.

Further, a sponge in not similar to meat on several levels. While a great deal of moisture obviously is evaporated from the meat, and evaporative cooling is no doubt a part of the process resulting in the stall, it does not deny the roll that rendering the collagen is a part of the stall. I think the article, while interesting, does nothing to change the fact that it is best to start cooking early. And have a few pounds of vac-packed pulled pork in the fridge, ready to roll, just in case.
I think you missed the point...

The sponge was meant to simulate the meat but rather to show how evaporative cooling and moisture prolong temp stall (or even temp reduction).

And the author and Blonder both agree that the breaking down of collagen play a roll in the stall but simply reject the idea that they are the driving force. This is based on the premise that there is simply not enough fat and collagen to create such a deep stall.

I actually buy into Blonder's hypothesis and believe he is accurate. It makes sense with my own experiences and will effect how I cook in the future.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

That is so cool, evaporative cooling. Whowouldathunkit? Meat science rules!!

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #12
landarc

No, I understand the point. In science, at least as I understand it, if you are going to use an analog for testing, the analog only has validity if it recreats the basic properties of the material it is being use on. A sponge does not have the closed cellular structure like meat does and it does not entrain the moisture in such a manner as to mimic meat. He used a sponge as it is easy to illustrate the concept.

I do not reject the idea that evaporative cooling is a part of the stall, but, I question the methodology and conclusions. Since he has no idea, at least does not state that he tested for it, the amount of collagen in the meat, there is no idea whether or not he understands how many calories of heat were used in rendering the collagen, the fat and the water. In the end, he doesn't even have an understanding of how much water alone is in the meat.

I fail to see how his conclusions make a cogent scientific argument for how to adjust your cooking to manage a better product. It still seems to me the only way to get the job done is to apply heat and cook until the meat is done. Now, dry aging a piece of meat and then cooking it to see if the meat cooks faster through the stall, that might be interesting.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #13
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

I fail to see how his conclusions make a cogent scientific argument for how to adjust your cooking to manage a better product.
I saw it as explanation of what happens, not as how to change anthing!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

This article nicely confirms the same belief as Nathan Myhrvold has on the plateau which I posted up some time ago (wet/dry bulb temperature and evaporation), I'm glad to see it in article form with some tests and data on the side! Nice to finally have some more credible information debunking the role (or should I say, lackthereof) of collagen in the stall.
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting read. regardless of the reasons that were stated for why things happen, one thing is true. foil makes it get done faster.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote