• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What cut is this? From Costco

Zalick

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I purchased a two pack of what I thought was tri-tip from Costco a couple months ago and vacuum packed each piece. I don't think I paid much attention while packing.

I've cooked lots of tri-tip but never purchased from Costco. This looks nothing like the tri-tip I've cooked in the past. Mine are always trimmed with no fatcap.

I thawed one of these the other night and realized it was odd. The chunks hanging off were strange and it has lots of connective tissue throughout.

I figured what the heck and cooked like a tri-tip. The texture and taste was very strange. My wife and I tossed it all. :doh:

So what cut do you think this is? A crappy untrimmed tri-tip? Something else?

Attachments

• PXL_20210126_200103418.jpg
    PXL_20210126_200103418.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 554
  • PXL_20210126_200110065.jpg
    PXL_20210126_200110065.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 553
That looks like pork - or very pale beef..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like pork - or very pale beef..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This exactly what my wife and I thought.... Had a pork like texture but didn't really taste like pork or beef...

Thankfully I wasn't paying attention and cooked it to 140IT....

And no idea what pork cut I could have bought at Costco.... The only pork I ever buy there is a pork butt or ribs.

Looks like one of their boneless boston butts.

Interesting. It's so thin!
I had them in the freezer for a couple months and due to the shape was always thinking I bought a tri-tip. And in my mind I bought tri-tip. Must have grabbed the wrong package in a rush.

My wife is gonna have a laugh tonight and take away my BBQ card...

I was thinking pork myself. I wish I could look closer, but from what you said, definitely not taste it.

I was thinking pork myself. I wish I could look closer, but from what you said, definitely not taste it.

It tasted pretty bad IMO. After wrapping and resting I'm hoping IT hit 145.... God I feel like an idiot!

My wife said it seemed like pork but was just off.

Mislabeled as tri tip but its a boneless pork butt they sell. They mislabel a lot. Like when I bought a 10lb whole pork belly for 50 cents. :heh: Not all mislabeling is bad but certainly yours was. Sorry about that.

Mislabeled as tri tip but its a boneless pork butt they sell. They mislabel a lot. Like when I bought a 10lb whole pork belly for 50 cents. :heh: Not all mislabeling is bad but certainly yours was. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately I probably paid a pretty penny for this....

Well, guess this one will go in my instant pot. Seems too thin to really do a slow and low pulled pork.

Unfortunately I probably paid a pretty penny for this....

Well, guess this one will go in my instant pot. Seems too thin to really do a slow and low pulled pork.

Nah, cook it until 200°+ and you'll be fine with a lot of bark. Maybe wrap it between 160°-170°.

It's a good thing.

Yep boneless butt. I accidentally bought one a couple months back. Thought I'd bought a regular bone in butt and discovered something similar to what's in your pic when I got it home.

Thats pork butt they come 2 to a pack no bone... besides getting the wrong thing they are very good quality ... leave the flap folded under the bigger part when you smoke so it cooks evenly

Interesting. It's so thin!
I had them in the freezer for a couple months and due to the shape was always thinking I bought a tri-tip. And in my mind I bought tri-tip. Must have grabbed the wrong package in a rush.

My wife is gonna have a laugh tonight and take away my BBQ card...

They’re very good unless you’ve already got your taste buds looking forward to a tri tip. Good luck with the Mrs.

Back