MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #76
ttkt57
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill Bryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilTrojan View Post
What is this thing? Looks like a beast!
It's a pellet cooker (model 3000?) made by Outlaw Smokers* in Idaho. I have their smallest smoker, the OL450. This is one of their bigger backyard units. They also make trailer smokers and other products for catering--all using pellets I believe.

*Not to be confused with another great BBQ company in Indiana (I think) that goes by a similar name and makes stick burners.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #77
ECB
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobill View Post
I have about a 48" L x 35" W space where it will be setup.
The mak with the “cold smoker “ side shelf removed is about 42” long. I took mine off as I never use it and I need the space for more cookers:)

The mak is really a great all around cooker. It’s my weekday cooker of choice without question.

On the weekend when I want to chill by the cooker all day I’ll burn sticks.

This past Sunday I had an errand to run but also needed to start a butt for dinner. I lit a fire in my stick burner, just to get a coal bed going. Threw the butt on the mak, ran out for an hr, got home and tossed the butt on the other cooker. Really helped me out big time.
ECB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2021, 07:58 PM   #78
jkief
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Well I’ve had my MAK 1 Star for over 4 years. I’ll never get rid of it. Just put piroges(sp?) from the freezer on there the other night along with French Fried Onion chicken at 400 degrees. Beautiful browning on the piroges and chicken breast was crazy moist. My MAK gets used at least 3-4 times a week. Customer service is amazing. Thought I was having an issue with the pid controller. Sent them a message online. Within 2 hours I got a call from them, and it turned out my temp probe had a little bit of gunk than needed cleaned after 4 years. As a military guy, American made by hand is a huge part of why I buy what I buy. Hunsaker, MAK, a new cooker on the way????... All American, small businesses, high quality product with a company that stands behind what they sell. Worth a few bucks more IMO. Wow. This turned into a long rant. Buy a MAK. 1 Star won’t disappoint.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #79
cobill
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
The mak with the “cold smoker “ side shelf removed is about 42” long. I took mine off as I never use it and I need the space for more cookers:)

The mak is really a great all around cooker. It’s my weekday cooker of choice without question.

On the weekend when I want to chill by the cooker all day I’ll burn sticks.

This past Sunday I had an errand to run but also needed to start a butt for dinner. I lit a fire in my stick burner, just to get a coal bed going. Threw the butt on the mak, ran out for an hr, got home and tossed the butt on the other cooker. Really helped me out big time.
Thanks all you BBQ guys! My wife is retired US Army and I retired from Civil Service, so I'll be buying an American built MAK...just deciding on the 1 or 2 Star and like the idea of removing the cold smoker side shelf.

Bill

Old 01-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #80
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Knocked this out with ease tonight on my MAK. Smoky, crazy moist and sticky sweet. I love love love pellet cooking! :)

Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #81
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Comment on the Mak 2star cold smoke chamber.

IMO. The cold smoker side shelf is very useful. If you have a thick cut steak or anything that needs reverse seared I like starting in the main chamber at 200-300* then when getting close to finish sear I rest in the cold smoke side and crank the heat to super high grill.

When you reach searing temps in main chamber simple swap back and your good to go without overcooking the center of the meat
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #82
ECB
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
Comment on the Mak 2star cold smoke chamber.

IMO. The cold smoker side shelf is very useful. If you have a thick cut steak or anything that needs reverse seared I like starting in the main chamber at 200-300* then when getting close to finish sear I rest in the cold smoke side and crank the heat to super high grill.

When you reach searing temps in main chamber simple swap back and your good to go without overcooking the center of the meat
I have a plumbed in natural gas grill with a sear burner that gets to 750+ in a couple min. When reverse searing I just let it rest for a few min, and drop it on the gasser.

I'm sure some people use the cold smoking cabinet however I never used it(which is why I removed it). I'd have personally rather the cook chamber be longer if I had to choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobill View Post
Thanks all you BBQ guys! My wife is retired US Army and I retired from Civil Service, so I'll be buying an American built MAK...just deciding on the 1 or 2 Star and like the idea of removing the cold smoker side shelf.

Bill
Can't go wrong either way. Best of luck!
ECB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #83
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
I have a plumbed in natural gas grill with a sear burner that gets to 750+ in a couple min. When reverse searing I just let it rest for a few min, and drop it on the gasser.
Hey that’s a great idea! Sounds like it works great.

I’m a bit lazier and like the easy button of having it “all in one” when I’m using the PG. Plus I have time for an extra beer while the main chamber gets to searing temps ;)
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #84
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

I'm certifiably insane and have had 10 pellet grills over past 9-10 years. Traegers, Camp Chef, Memphis, and Weber. They are definitely more convenient than even my WSCG and faster in most senses. Before the Weber (and probably the Memphis) that still puts out good smoke at 275, I had to start most cooks at 200-225 for the first couple hours, then I could raise the temp. On the Traegers or Camp Chefs at 275 start to finish for something like a butt or brisket, the smoke was pretty weak. I would definitely not recommend a Memphis to anyone since I had grease fires galore and since then they shipped manufacturing overseas and kept/raised prices. I also had a weird Costco specific Traeger (of 4) that was a very weird design and produced almost no smoke as well I'm being very kind not mentioning one other brand I had in the middle that was a nightmare, but I'm accepting I got a lemon. Outside of those 3 each pellet grill I've had has been great, IMO. I've either needed bigger grill or thought I couldn't live without some new feature to the pellet world (direct grilling, WiFi, etc.) each step of the way as the pellet market evolved heavily from like 2014-2019 with lots of new features.

For me, the WSCG takes about an hour to get going at or close to temp with clean smoke. With a pellet grill, I can fire it up, prep meat and throw it in 10-15 minutes later once I know the fire is burning ok and the grill is 150+. Even the 'dirty' smoke from a pellet grill is not overpowering.

I live where it gets darn cold and windy and it's very convenient for several months of the year (Nov-March almost guaranteed with late Dec-late Feb being exceptionally miserable) and it's really nice on a rare nice day to vacuum out a pellet grill, change the drip pan foil, and be set for a few cooks where all I have to do is fill the hopper, fire it up, and wait for food to finish. I ran a insulation blanket on my Traegers and wish I would have had one for the Camp Chefs and that the SmokeFire had one or was double walled.

That all being said, I haven't matched the WSCG for close to absolutely perfect final results yet, but the food from the pellet grills, especially the SmokeFire and the Memphis (when it didn't have a grease fire) have been pretty darn close and food from the rest has been plenty edible if not pretty darn good. Much better than the electric and propane smokers I had before. If it's not really windy, I want a guaranteed great meal, and I have enough time, the WSCG is the goto. However, those planet seem to alight once a month or so.

I started BBQ when I was busy in life with kids activities 5-6 days a week, so have never had the time for a stick burner to compare to. When my oldest went off to college and my youngest had a foot injury keeping her from dance, I tried a COS for a couple cooks and realized for me at least a $299 POS wasn't worth the effort.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #85
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchy View Post
I'm certifiably insane
Noooo. I don't believe you.

Quote:
...and have had 10 pellet grills over past 9-10 years.
Well....now....you might be right. That would get the average person committed.

Quote:
Traegers, Camp Chef, Memphis, and Weber. They are definitely more convenient than even my WSCG and faster in most senses. Before the Weber (and probably the Memphis) that still puts out good smoke at 275, I had to start most cooks at 200-225 for the first couple hours, then I could raise the temp. On the Traegers or Camp Chefs at 275 start to finish for something like a butt or brisket, the smoke was pretty weak. I would definitely not recommend a Memphis to anyone since I had grease fires galore and since then they shipped manufacturing overseas and kept/raised prices. I also had a weird Costco specific Traeger (of 4) that was a very weird design and produced almost no smoke as well I'm being very kind not mentioning one other brand I had in the middle that was a nightmare, but I'm accepting I got a lemon. Outside of those 3 each pellet grill I've had has been great, IMO. I've either needed bigger grill or thought I couldn't live without some new feature to the pellet world (direct grilling, WiFi, etc.) each step of the way as the pellet market evolved heavily from like 2014-2019 with lots of new features.

For me, the WSCG takes about an hour to get going at or close to temp with clean smoke. With a pellet grill, I can fire it up, prep meat and throw it in 10-15 minutes later once I know the fire is burning ok and the grill is 150+. Even the 'dirty' smoke from a pellet grill is not overpowering.

I live where it gets darn cold and windy and it's very convenient for several months of the year (Nov-March almost guaranteed with late Dec-late Feb being exceptionally miserable) and it's really nice on a rare nice day to vacuum out a pellet grill, change the drip pan foil, and be set for a few cooks where all I have to do is fill the hopper, fire it up, and wait for food to finish. I ran a insulation blanket on my Traegers and wish I would have had one for the Camp Chefs and that the SmokeFire had one or was double walled.

That all being said, I haven't matched the WSCG for close to absolutely perfect final results yet, but the food from the pellet grills, especially the SmokeFire and the Memphis (when it didn't have a grease fire) have been pretty darn close and food from the rest has been plenty edible if not pretty darn good. Much better than the electric and propane smokers I had before. If it's not really windy, I want a guaranteed great meal, and I have enough time, the WSCG is the goto. However, those planet seem to alight once a month or so.

I started BBQ when I was busy in life with kids activities 5-6 days a week, so have never had the time for a stick burner to compare to. When my oldest went off to college and my youngest had a foot injury keeping her from dance, I tried a COS for a couple cooks and realized for me at least a $299 POS wasn't worth the effort.
I certainly would not doubt your experiences.
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2021, 09:48 PM   #86
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pellet grills SUCK!!!

(Y’all spread the word, it is my hope the pellet grill market wi collapse and I can grab about 4 more MAK ⭐️ ⭐️ for about 1/3 the retail price!!!)

Pellet grills SUCK!!!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2021, 07:27 AM   #87
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedneckBBQ View Post
While for grilling my Pit boss doesn't heat up as fast as a gas grill, the ability to reverse sear steaks or pork chops outweighs the time difference for me
Why can't you reverse sear on your gasser? I do it all the time. Just set two heat zones.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #88
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
While I don’t have a gasses and haven’t in years I agree 100% with Curt.

I actually see no reason for anyone to buy a gasser anymore, a pellet can do all a gasser can do and more while imparting smoke.
Can your pellet get to 700 degrees (temp I use for steak)?

Old 01-28-2021, 07:34 AM   #89
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

My WSM is pretty much set it and forget it. Thought about a pellet grill but see no real advantage to my current set up.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #90
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
Can your pellet get to 700 degrees (temp I use for steak)?
Yes.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote