The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Good morning everyone. It took several weeks, but I finally completed my island renovation and grill installation. I purchased a Memphis Elite Built-In around early December. I've told everyone that its been like getting a Christmas gift and not having the batteries for 6 weeks.

The island originally held a 28" propane Cal Flame that was about 15 years old. It was a nice grill, but I was tired of replacing the burners and fighting unruly flames. So the grill went goodbye, along with the tile, durarock, and much of the framing. Since the new grill is much larger, framing had to be reworked. I ended up using unistrut, which provided a much stronger frame. New rock and tile was installed, and finally the new grill.

Anyway, finished install yesterday. Had a little scare with the controller and getting wifi setup, but a quick call to Memphis and simply unplugging the controller cleared things up. The wifi enabled app is a handy tool and fun to play with. Getting a text or email when the grill or probes hits set point is helpful.

Here's a few pics on the final install. Not perfect, but happy with the results. Look forward to using the grill for smoking and grilling, and learning a lot from the forum.

Attachments

• Grill 1.jpg
    Grill 1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Grill 2.jpg
    Grill 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Grill 3.jpg
    Grill 3.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 165
  • Grill 4.jpg
    Grill 4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 167
Good morning everyone. It took several weeks, but I finally completed my island renovation and grill installation. I purchased a Memphis Elite Built-In around early December. I've told everyone that its been like getting a Christmas gift and not having the batteries for 6 weeks.

The island originally held a 28" propane Cal Flame that was about 15 years old. It was a nice grill, but I was tired of replacing the burners and fighting unruly flames. So the grill went goodbye, along with the tile, durarock, and much of the framing. Since the new grill is much larger, framing had to be reworked. I ended up using unistrut, which provided a much stronger frame. New rock and tile was installed, and finally the new grill.

Anyway, finished install yesterday. Had a little scare with the controller and getting wifi setup, but a quick call to Memphis and simply unplugging the controller cleared things up. The wifi enabled app is a handy tool and fun to play with. Getting a text or email when the grill or probes hits set point is helpful.

Here's a few pics on the final install. Not perfect, but happy with the results. Look forward to using the grill for smoking and grilling, and learning a lot from the forum.

Fantastic setup! COngrats!

It'll never be that clean again! Make sure you check the grease trays before every cook. I had my 2nd big fire in my Pro last weekend and I got to test drive my spiffy new Amerex class K fire extinguisher. By the way, I highly recommend the Amerex class K fire extinguisher.

That's a cool and beautiful set-up!

New to the board...figured I may as well share...

ACtC-3eDBeQT_WnKwlWnGXfSl1OOtzADdqf0MYhRLibdJfXt3j3f0qzLoN7imbC6L9GqW51TFAScpduBW6Zc0x6eZe0KadDw5iSWdWAfvHMle4mKerCCB0o3ABFpRHwvs56eHQLVCxpZH2_EBQOLW6uGtd5w8w=w703-h937-no

Any welding blanket recommendations for a MAK 2 Star? Getting tired of cooking in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any welding blanket recommendations for a MAK 2 Star? Getting tired of cooking in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How cold you talking? I’ve been cooking a lot in the teens/20’s since moving to TN. Absolutely no issues.

How cold you talking? I’ve been cooking a lot in the teens/20’s since moving to TN. Absolutely no issues.

Wait, what? You moved to TN? I need to start spending a little more time on this forum! I guess our temps are similar now, LOL. If you can stick it out coming from CA, I know I can. :wink:

Wait, what? You moved to TN? I need to start spending a little more time on this forum! I guess our temps are similar now, LOL. If you can stick it out coming from CA, I know I can. :wink:

Hahaha! Also sold my Otto Wilde. As much as I loved it, it’s just not the right fit for a big family. Took me a year+ to come to that conclusion.

I’ve been cooking in the cold no problems with my 2*. I only have issues with the wind sometimes. I just rotate my grill & all is well.

I know very little about pellet flavor but know post oak is not my favorite for cooking chicken on my new RecTeq grill. What is a very mildl smoking petite?

Also plan on cooking a pork butt for my next cook and would appreciate some suggestion on a good pellet flavor to use when cooking pot? Thanks and I look forward to your dements.

I know very little about pellet flavor but know post oak is not my favorite for cooking chicken on my new RecTeq grill. What is a very mildl smoking petite?

Also plan on cooking a pork butt for my next cook and would appreciate some suggestion on a good pellet flavor to use when cooking pot? Thanks and I look forward to your dements.

just a pipe and a lighter for me...

flexstar, Most pellet grills produce milder smoke output to begin with, so I often run CookinPellets 100% Hickory for everything. CookinPellets makes a PerfectMix and Weber has the SmokeMaster Blend which are both good too. Many pellets you buy will that are labeled one flavor will be 70-80% oak or alder and the rest the flavor wood.

Ribeyes and air-fried green beans for dinner tonight. Haven’t done a start to finish steak in awhile on the MAK as I typically sear on something else mainly for speed and ease. Decided to do the whole shebang on the MAK tonight and produced one of the juiciest steaks I have had in a looooong time. Let the MAK run on Smoke for about an hour. Removed steaks and jacked temp to 500° (took about 13 mins to go from 180-500° in 35° temp with a breeze). Love the new firmware!! 2.5 mins each side at 500° and done to a perfect medium (our preference). Didn’t even use the MAK sear grates this time which is another first in awhile.

51ac448c54dbae142f6d660553de1a56.jpg

b164069a43f414c0aa03f6163fb7d68b.jpg

Back