MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Who's Ribs are These?

Okay, frustration is setting in. 2 Weeks ago I thought I had finally mixed the formula. I thought I had the cracked the genetic code to having my ribs turn out just right. WRONG. Yesterday I did 5 racks, the exact same way as the last ones, same temp, same time (260-270/4-1-1) and 3 out of the 5 racks had rib-bones popping through the back and broke in half when I did a bend test at the end. Besides over cooking the fark out of them, why is the underlying membrane holding the ribs together turning to dust and the the ribs fall apart? The one and only thing I did different was I did not spritz the underside of the ribs each 1/2 hour. Maybe?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

No! I would say you way over cooked them.I do mine at 275 I don't wrap and they pass the bend test every time at 4-5 hrs usually closer to the 4 hr mark. Since you had shiners what was the weight of the racks on the first cook compared to the second cook. Hogs are just like people we all have the same parts just assembled differently.Some are fat some are muscular and some are lean and it makes a difference how you cook 'em.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
EX~DY
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dominic

Wish I had some input for you there, AshHole. I'll be watching to catch others input as well since I have had the same problem a time or 2.

In the end it will be okay.
And if it's not okay, it's not the end.
EX~DY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

[QUOTE=BigAshHole;2263301The one and only thing I did different was I did not spritz the underside of the ribs each 1/2 hour. Maybe?[/QUOTE]

I agree that they were overcooked, but this is why. When you opened the pit the last time to spritz you were dumping heat and it took them longer to cook. This time you didn't lose heat from opening the pit so they over cooked.

If you decide not to spritz, shorten the cook time.

Also, were the racks the same weight? That makes a difference in cook time, too.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
No! I would say you way over cooked them.I do mine at 275 I don't wrap and they pass the bend test every time at 4-5 hrs usually closer to the 4 hr mark. Since you had shiners what was the weight of the racks on the first cook compared to the second cook.
I will agree that they were overcooked. I don't recall shiners underneath before they went on, just after I unwrapped. I thought they might "stiffen" up the last hour but not so. It's like the membrane just cooked off. I have been wrapping since before I took Myron's class and changed to a pan afterwards. It has worked for me but this was a bit unnerving. I will also agree that there were differences in the Racks and I wish I could tell which ones were which now but 3 out of the 5 were SAM's and 2 out of the 5 were Restaurant Depot. Coincidence? I have seen this before with the SAM's Ribs. Maybe I'll just try naked for 4 hours next time with a set of RD's. Thanks Bludawg.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Bludawg

You paid Myron allot of hard earned money to fill your head with nonsense. I work for good Cigars and Beer and don't have an EGO to feed.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
You paid Myron allot of hard earned money to fill your head with nonsense.
I would not call it a complete waste. It was entertaining and filled in some gaps that I probably would have figured out on my own a few years later. Unfortunately I am a bit too old to wait for the occasional epiphany .

Ego? No argument there.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAshHole View Post
Okay, frustration is setting in. 2 Weeks ago I thought I had finally mixed the formula. I thought I had the cracked the genetic code to having my ribs turn out just right. WRONG. Yesterday I did 5 racks, the exact same way as the last ones, same temp, same time (260-270/4-1-1) and 3 out of the 5 racks had rib-bones popping through the back and broke in half when I did a bend test at the end. Besides over cooking the fark out of them, why is the underlying membrane holding the ribs together turning to dust and the the ribs fall apart? The one and only thing I did different was I did not spritz the underside of the ribs each 1/2 hour. Maybe?
270 degrees for 4 hrs and your already done. another hour in foil killed em.

How do you tell how your ribs are cooking if their wrapped in foil???

Foil is for making hats.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
wasilvers
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Maybe I do it backwards, but I do the ribs till the outside looks just about right (about 3 hours at 225) I foil them for 30minutes at same temp. After the first 30 minutes, I put a temp probe into the fattest part of the ribs (careful not to touch bones) and leave them in foil till 190+ is read (about an hour in foil) Then they get the bend test. They seem to get hotter in the foil. I then take the foil off, mop in my favorite sauce and carmelize it over the fire. It has worked out great for me this way.

I found I need to run some sort of water pan with ribs or they seem to get dried out -even with spritzes as much as every 30 minutes. With some cookers, I just put a cast iron bowl with water in it right above the fire and it helps out A LOT.
wasilvers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasilvers View Post
Maybe I do it backwards, but I do the ribs till the outside looks just about right (about 3 hours at 225) I foil them for 30minutes at same temp. After the first 30 minutes, I put a temp probe into the fattest part of the ribs (careful not to touch bones) and leave them in foil till 190+ is read (about an hour in foil) Then they get the bend test. They seem to get hotter in the foil. I then take the foil off, mop in my favorite sauce and carmelize it over the fire. It has worked out great for me this way.

I found I need to run some sort of water pan with ribs or they seem to get dried out -even with spritzes as much as every 30 minutes. With some cookers, I just put a cast iron bowl with water in it right above the fire and it helps out A LOT.
You might think it crazy but if you ditch the foil and turn up the temp to somewhere between 275-350 they will be perfect in 3.5 -4 hrs no need to spritz spray mop or spluge on them bones no water pan Just keep the pit closed and let 'em rock, you try it one time and you will never look back.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have to agree with bludawg. My drum spiked once for as much as an hour so I shortened the cook time and they were very good.

I run mine 275-285* roughly 1.5/1.5/1.5
After the first 1.5 I will wrap in butcher paper and lightly dust w brown sugar
After the second 1.5 I will lightly reseason or mop (the rub sticks very well at this point)
The last 1.5 is out of the paper again.
This has worked very well for me with very consistant results!

Good luck with your future ribs