B&B Oak Lump vs Royal Oak Lump

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I picked 4 bags of B&B Oak Lump and 1 bag of Royal Oak Lump at Walmart. I decided to open a few bags to see how they compare and load them into my plastic containers. Here’s the B&B with a business card (3 1/4'” x 2”) for size comparison.

IMG_3895_zpsc2e28a84.jpg

IMG_3896_zps73b1d6ba.jpg

IMG_3898_zpseccd07a0.jpg

And in the container. (See the dust & tiny pieces? The 2nd & 3rd bags didn’t have as much)

IMG_3897_zps2a4e5fcb.jpg

Royal Oak

3b1c31ac-a039-4d92-b608-fd1cab5eb919_zps64e39813.jpg

Here’s the RO with a business card (3 1/4'” x 2”) for size comparison.

IMG_3900_zps243a2a5f.jpg

And in the container.

IMG_3901_zps4c7f0aaf.jpg

and you got the b&b from where ? for me its just common sense for me to use the ro stuff cuz its easily found and its decent enough.

So, did the RO have dust and small chucks?
No not much. The first bag of B&B was the only bag that had much of any dust & tiny pieces. I poured the bags into the plastic containers so I could see the bottom of the bag.

and you got the b&b from where ? for me its just common sense for me to use the ro stuff cuz its easily found and its decent enough.
Both were purchased from Walmart. There's not allot of difference. The RO was just a little larger size but were flatter (more like 1x material) than the B&B which seemed to be more like real chunks. Also the B&B had many many truely carbonized pieces. (not sure if you can see this in the pics) I haven't burned any yet so don't have any opinions yet but will revisit this when I do.

You can get B&B at Academy Sports. $14.99 for a 20lb bag.

B&B is usually pretty good and it comes in different flavors (oak, mesquite, hickory, etc). It's available in quite a few places down here in the Houston area, but I am cheap so I normally buy RO when it's on sale at Wally World. All things being equal, I usually buy the oak when I get B&B. The mesquite is dynamite for steaks.

Last edited:
B&B is usually pretty good and it comes in different flavors (oak, mesquite, hickory, etc). It's available in quite a few places down here in the Houston area, but I am cheap so I normally buy RO when it's on sale at Wally World. All things being equal, I usually buy the oak when I get B&B. The mesquite is dynamite for steaks.
Once it is carbonized it's all the same all the compounds that add flavor age long gone. All that labeling is for marketing. You can make lump out of Pine or Cedar once it is carbonized it makes no difference. I have cooked many a meal over cedar and pine coals with no off taste. You want the Flavor add wood.:thumb:

I have never tried B&B lump I did try the natural Briquettes and was very impressed.

non at my wm and no academy even remotely close to here. thats why many of us just have to use what is available.

Once it is carbonized it's all the same all the compounds that add flavor age long gone. All that labeling is for marketing. You can make lump out of Pine or Cedar once it is carbonized it makes no difference. I have cooked many a meal over cedar and pine coals with no off taste. You want the Flavor add wood.:thumb:

I have never tried B&B lump I did try the natural Briquettes and was very impressed.

Huh. I learned something there. Thanks.

Back