Just got a 1/4 side of beef - No What?

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Short version of this story is that we have friends that own a cattle ranch and occasionally slaughter a cow or two. They have offered us this option from time to time but we have always turned them down outside of a few burgers and/or steaks. Well this week the stars aligned and our freezer was almost completely empty so we took them up on a quarter.

I guess I should have posted for some advice on this last night before going out to the meat processor, but oh well. I think I have gotten a pretty good set of cuts but I think I could have done better with some advice from the group (i.e. my skirt steak ended up in my hamburger instead of as a cut on its own).

In any event I took the front end because of better options for BBQ (at least based on what I knew/thought). I ended up with ribeye steaks (these were not bone on because the guy cutting that misunderstood me and boned it so I got stead and ribs), Texas style ribs, plate ribs (divided into two sets of 4), brisket, neck bones for stew beef, two large (very) rolled chuck roasts that I had cut in half for a total of 4, and the rest ground into hamburger.

Now comes the plea for advice. How would you cook all of the above, with the exception of the hamburger, ribeys, and brisket? I have never done beef ribs (plate or Texas style) or chuck roll. I have heard chuck roll is good to cook just like brisket. How about the ribs? Would you do those similar to pork ribs (3,2,1/2,2,1)? Forgive the Carolinian in me and my prior to last week bias to only port BBQ.

do the beef ribs same as brisket also.

I do it simple... rub em, cook to 165-170 and foil until tender.

they will not fall from the bone. Theres this monstor membrane that you will contend with.. Either just chow down on em like fred flintstone, or leave 3 bones intact and slice the across the grain, from top to bone.

Do a search for beef ribs or dinosaur bones and you'll find lots of ideas. I season them like I do a brisket (Montreal Steak Seasoning) and cook them at 225-250 until they are done (if there is enough meat on them you can measure the temp and take them to around 190 and then start checking for doneness.

The chuck roasts are probably chuck rolls. Another search will come up with more ideas, but season these however you wish and cook until 190 - 200 internal and the thermometer probe slides in easily and then either chop or pull. Goos stuff!

oh yeah.. and those chuck rolls(knwo to us as chusk rolls) are awesome in chili too. Smoke em to 175, then dice and add to chile.

do the beef ribs same as brisket also.

I do it simple... rub em, cook to 165-170 and foil until tender.

they will not fall from the bone. Theres this monstor membrane that you will contend with.. Either just chow down on em like fred flintstone, or leave 3 bones intact and slice the across the grain, from top to bone.

Quick clairification ... I have both two sets of 4 plate ribs (I think what they cut from the ribeyes) and what the cutter called "Texas style" ribs cut one rib at a time. Would you do both of these the same way (like the brisket)? How long do they normally take given their size? The Texas style ones appear to have a lot of meat on them.

Last edited:
Back