Aroma Hops

Brewmaster

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have some left over hops from a brew. Does anyone have any exerience with using these in a recipe. Particularly a ground meat recipe. I'm thinking they will add a pretty strong flavor so I don't want to add too much. My questions is how much is too much.

hops_harv.jpg

Cheers,

Nate

I've heard of Hop Cheese, but the recipe could be labor intensive. You're right, they are strong. A little goes a long way.

Truthfully, with the shortage and all, I'd wrap em up tight, then put em in the freezer for another batch of brew.

That's not working in my mind's flavor tester... It would impart some bitterness I'm not sure you'd want. If there was a bittering agent commonly used in marinades you could sure substitute hops for it, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything...

That's not working in my mind's flavor tester... It would impart some bitterness I'm not sure you'd want. If there was a bittering agent commonly used in marinades you could sure substitute hops for it, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything...

Maybe I should have included more of my reason for adding the hops. I am doing a burger contest at a brewery. My burger needs to be paired with a brew of my choice from the brewery. I'm not looking for a huge flavor from the hops but, I thought it would help the two flavors meld better. I plan on pairing with a dry hopped APA.

Still a bad idea? :eusa_clap

How about marinading the meat in the beer itself?

Hell, I could be off base, but a bitter burger...<urp>

First thing that u do is invite me over to sample beer. On dinner impossible robert irvine cooked with hops when he was at AB. Check out his recipe online

Are you talking as ingredient in the burger patty, or as a source of smoke while you're grilling?

I was thinking of mixing it into the meat of the burger. I was planning on using the aroma hop not bittering hop.

I haven't smoked anything like this since college. Do you think that will help during grilling?

I need to grill with you.

Cheers,

Nate

I haven't smoked anything like this since college. Do you think that will help during grilling?

Nate

Heh! :biggrin: That's not quite what I meant.

As an ingredient in the meat, I think hops would add too much bitterness and a lot of unwanted... how shall I say.... shake. Doesn't sound appealing to me.

I was curious what hop smoke smells like if you used as an adjunct to hardwood. I'd like to think it might add a certain spiciness to the exterior of the burger in the short time it's on the grill. You've got a Traeger, I imagine hop pellets would feed through just fine.

Then again hop smoke might give food a resinous and nasty taste. Don't know until you try it, Evel Knievel. Let us know how it works out.

Geez Nate....just use the hops as a garnish.:biggrin: You know a contest isn't the place to play with things.:rolleyes:
I'm beginning to wonder about you. First leaving your Waygu brisket sit out for a week to thaw at room temp....then treating your lawn with Roundup to make it grow better....:rolleyes:. Have you been checked for Alzhiemer's?

What type of hop are they? High-alpha?

Maybe make some ketchup using the hops? Simmer a cone or two in some ketchup with a few other mild spices, let cool and use? Aside from that, I like the marinade idea.

Nice pic, btw! :biggrin:

Are they whole hops or pellets? Either way I would chop very very fine or use mortar and pestle.

Hamburger is cheap. Throw some in and see what happens on a trial run. Then make a few and use hops smoke by itself.

Let us know how it turns out, sounds like something I may like.

What type of hop are they? High-alpha?

Maybe make some ketchup using the hops? Simmer a cone or two in some ketchup with a few other mild spices, let cool and use? :biggrin:

Kent Goldings

I like the ketchup idea. I'm doing some practice runs tonight and might try that as well.

Are they whole hops or pellets? Either way I would chop very very fine or use mortar and pestle.

Hamburger is cheap. Throw some in and see what happens on a trial run. Then make a few and use hops smoke by itself.

Let us know how it turns out, sounds like something I may like.

They are whole hops. I don't have a motar and pestle. I planed on using the food processor to chop them fine.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Nate

They are whole hops. I don't have a motar and pestle. I planed on using the food processor to chop them fine.

May get away with just simmering them whole...ketchup is acidic, will probably dissolve the alpha acids much like wort will.

Sounds tasty!

Here they are. They added a very mild taste. More of an after taste. I enjoyed them. But I do like a really hoppy beer.

IMG_7874.jpg

Cheers,

Nate

Back