MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I have offset smoker "101" questions?

Long story short, I've had either a Hasty Bake or WSM for ten years now, just got an offset this summer. It was a real find, its a nine or ten year old Brinkman that has never been used. Small, but the darn thing has some real metal on it-150 pounds versus the new ones that weigh like 80.
I cooked on it a couple times and was kind of chasing temps around, but got it settled down.
Just finished installing the sheet metal baffle and the tube that lowers the smokestack, and built a small charcoal basket.
It now acts pretty nice and the temps in the cooker seem pretty good.

The thing I am wondering about is how much fuel do these damn things burn?
Four hours (some chicken, not too much), took around 8 pounds od lump. I'm just not used to that. Granted the hi temp today was 40, but it did the same thing this summer before I did the mods.
Am I doing it wrong or is this the deal? Not bithcin mind you just wondering.

Well?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

can you give us a pic? Istarted on one that old! would like to see if I can help!!foil, water pans etc!!!let me know..go ahead and PM

Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Its been my experience that the cheaper(this is not a slam) offsets are fuel hogs and a great deal depends on weather conditions....I have 2 chargrillers that cook really well but, they like their fuel....I suppose you could tighten one up with gaskets and such. I'm just saving my pennies for a better one down the road.

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Azinine
Take a breath!

They are fuel hogs, for sure. I never use my silver smoker anymore.

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

4 hous 8lb of lump....sounds right, not bad at all
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalasz View Post
4 hous 8lb of lump....sounds right, not bad at all
Agreed. Coming from a WSM, it seems like (and maybe is) a lot, but it is not out in left field for a horizontal offset. I'll bet with some more tuning (You already did the biggees) you can improve just a bit. Plus, the 'second 4 hours' should be more efficient than the 'first four hours' of any cook.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

sounds like you have the silver smoker or hondo. I picture would help. The hondo has a flat spot on the firebox for a pot, and is slightly thicker steel.

but 8lbs lump on a 4hour cook is pretty good for either of those. Add a beer can sized log or 2 to that and you can reduce some lump usage.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
jdub
is one Smokin' Farker

Brinkman Pitmaster Pro. Weighs twice what a Silver Smoker weighs.
I think I am just used to burning very little coal in these other gadgets. Its a lot bigger space to heat.
All in all, I like it, just wondering.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Brink Cimarron. It's 1/4 inch all around and weighs a ton for an offset. I still burn through a 10lb bag of Royal Oak for about 6-7 hours. I think you get spoiled using a WSM because the of the crazy long run times. I think some designs are just extremely efficient.
itschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Brinkman Pitmaster Pro. Weighs twice what a Silver Smoker weighs.
I think I am just used to burning very little coal in these other gadgets. Its a lot bigger space to heat.
All in all, I like it, just wondering.
Been cooking on a Pro for close to 15 years (yea, I'm old) and it has always sucked when it came to fuel... You've done the right mods, if you can get a better seal on the doors that would be the first place I would look...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like you are getting as good a fuel milage as you are going to. My Brinkmann PitMaster burns about the same amount as that, depending on how high I run her.
If I am running her at 350-400 she is eating the logs pretty fast!!!
Hey, let 'er eat.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

to put it in perspective, for a 13 hour cook in my lang, I go through about 50lbs including getting it up to temp (seems more when you list it in lbs, 2.5 bags makes it see like a lot less)...
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I love my off sets. I start out with about 2 pounds of lump coal. Once it's lit, I switch to wood and do not go back to the lump. I can run 250-300* with ease. As far as wood consumption, it depends on what wood I am using. Some woods burn hotter and faster than others.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #14
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

In my Bar B Chef I go thru the 8 lbs or so of lump in about 4 hours like everyone else however, my last mod was to put aluminum foil around the firebox doors and cooking chamber and it acts like a gasket and although it still leaks alittle it did give me a slightly longer more efficient burn.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
Smokin Diablo
Knows what a fatty is.

I have been cooking on offsets forever. I have learned to cover them up with a shipping blanket, yup the kind you pack around furniture when you move. It holds the temp and it seals leaks. The blanket will turn brown first then after about 10 cooks will get nice and burnt but it will not catch fire. Give it a try by getting your off set to 225, then toss on the blanket, your temp will increase by 50 to 75 degrees in 5 to 10 min and it will stay there considerably longer than you have gotten it to in the past with out adding more fuel. You will go thru slightly less fuel and be able to control heat. People always get on us at competitions for putting our smoker to bed, but hey it works like a champ and it is the least expensive modification you can make.
CBJ #21680
Gentleman Jack and a $10.00 cigar
Smokin Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote