MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #466
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Default Set & forget Cook

After two smokes, I thought I'd try a "set & forget" cook.
Cooking 7 lb pork butt.
Loaded with 8 lbs of Royal Oak briquittes & 3 big chunks apple.
Got loaded up temp went to 350F before put meat on( no I didn't plan, it gets hot quik)
got settled in at 250 F @ 8:00AM.
Temp ranging between 250 F &270F depending on whether the sun is shining on cooker.
Vents barely open!

LostArrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #467
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Got off work @ 12:30 & watched the cook , with adult beverages & Stevie Nicks on pandora.
Temps did fairly good , mainly about 260F , one spike to about 290F when a chunk of wood ignited. when a chunk of wood ignited .
Pulled butt when hit 195F & in pan for a couple hours. Looks good.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #468
Stinkfinger
Found some matches.

looks awesome!
Stinkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #469
criffaaa1
is one Smokin' Farker

great looking poke but lostarrow.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #470
okiereddirt
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm a new member. First post out of the call. I had, and still am planning on building a UDS but was excited with this unit. Read the whole thread and decided to pick one up at Lowes. Brought it home and assembled it seeing the flaws that i have picked up on through reading thid thread. the ash catcher has a visible space between it and the lower body, the bottom air intake is very loose but that was all that i really saw. I plan to seal the intake back side with the high temp silicone and use a hightemp felt to help with the slider. The clamps that attach the ash catcher either need to be stronger or the seal thicker. I'll work on that. Seasoned it tonight and will see how low it will cook either tomorrow or Sunday. My thermometer was dead nuts on during the seasoning but I was not using the diffuser at that time. More to come

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #471
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Other than mine was assembled with the legs 60 degrees off,mine is perfect!
Might want to look at the ones at Kroger

Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #472
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Keep it up you guys. You are going to make me spend some money I don't have.

I have a UDS that is great, but need something to replace my old cheapo grill that is on its last rusted leg. I do like to fire it up for steaks and hamburgers, etc. I could just get another El Cheapo, but with the Acorn, there are lots of possibilities there.
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #473
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Well the butt was a hit! Chunked it out, served with Parker house rolls, beans, & slaw.
Cleaned up grill this AM. The 8-9 hour burn used up less than 1/2 of the charcoal I started with. The burn only went around & got 1 piece of wood, more wood chunks next time.
The ash pan is less than 1/4 full, didn't bother to empty.
Works really well with briquittes. I like that so I don't have to keep two types.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #474
okiereddirt
Knows what a fatty is.

Default my mods

So like I said before there was a gap between the ash catcher and the bottom. It was small but when i put the grill together at night and dropped a flash light into it you could see the gap. So.. a little high temp RTV around the edge and allow to cure made a good seal on the gasket. Second fix was the air vent flattened out the dimples for the screws some applied rtv to back of vent and screwed back together with some header gaskets under the 2 screws on the left side. I reassembled the unit and found that the flange that should contact the seal was not welded completely to the edge of the ash catcher so I laid a bead of silicone under this flange as well. I allowed this to setup over night and started a butt this morning. Placed it on at 180 and backed the vents off. Here are pic’s of the mods and 1 hour into the cook.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #475
buffetw
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I've smoked a 12 lb turkey, seared steaks, and grilled shrimp on my akorn. The Char-griller folks in Sea Island/St. Simons are good people.
buffetw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #476
okiereddirt
Knows what a fatty is.

Well the 225 didn't hold but 235-245 held real nice. Here is a pick of the finished product after 8 hours.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #477
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

^^^^ Looks great

Old 04-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #478
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

What color is the model available at Krogers? Does it have the wooden side tables?
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #479
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

The ones at my local Kroger are the black ones and do have the wood tables.
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #480
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

Why do they recommend lump over briquettes. It seems you would be able to control temps better with briquettes. Is there a problem if you don't use lump in this smoker? I ask because I just loaded up on the Kingsford charcoal sale HD had a couple weeks ago. Thanks
hcj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado