Finally Got Around To The Creekstone Short Ribs

I absolutely love Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix... with that said, I haven’t tried LJ pellets. I did however just score a deal on 8 40lb bags of LJ 100% Oak that I am looking forward to burning, especially when grilling (higher BTU’s).

Curious to hear how you’d compare Cookin’ Pellets to LJ. As much as I love CP, I am definitely not opposed to trying something new that comes highly recommended by somebody like yourself :)

Sweet!

I haven't used anything but LJ so don't know how CP compares though I've heard good about them also. LJ Oak is perfect. :thumb: Going forth I'm thinking of sticking with LJ Oak and Cherry probably some Pecan on the side. I think those will be perfect in cooking anything. You will like the Oak for sure and thank you.

I feel the same way about Cookin Pellets perfect blend, as Sako does the LJ Comp blend. Just missing the flavor profile I want. I also agree with him on the LJ Comp Blend. They aren't the best. Cookin Pellets 100% Hickory are good, but LJ's have a better flavor to me. Might be different for you, but I think LJ 100% Hickory and their mesquite blend are the 2 best pellets on the market. I haven't found their pecan yet, if I get them, that might change my mind. The LJ Cherry is good too, but I find they give a little lighter smoke profile, but they are good with poultry and pork. I put them in the amaze-n-tube for a little extra flavor and color, while using the hickory in the hopper.

It's basically a YMMV thing. To highlight what Josh said, I will buy Cherry only for the killer color it gives. Cherry is the food coloring in bbq wood.

Sweet!

I haven't used anything but LJ so don't know how CP compares though I've heard good about them also. LJ Oak is perfect. :thumb: Going forth I'm thinking of sticking with LJ Oak and Cherry probably some Pecan on the side. I think those will be perfect in cooking anything. You will like the Oak for sure and thank you.

You might really like BBQ delight Cherry. It is 70% oak, and 30% cherry. I can't confirm it, but I have heard that B&B pellets are a generic BBQ Delight. You can get them at Academy Sports, and I think some wal-marts.

You might really like BBQ delight Cherry. It is 70% oak, and 30% cherry. I can't confirm it, but I have heard that B&B pellets are a generic BBQ Delight. You can get them at Academy Sports, and I think some wal-marts.

Sucky thing is there are no Academy stores here though I've bought a ton from them online but they don't ship pellets understandably. Wally World brought some B&B pellets for a real short time and they stopped. I didn't have a pellet pooper then but I think they were selling hickory and some other wood for less thand $10 a 20/lb bag.

Sucky thing is there are no Academy stores here though I've bought a ton from them online but they don't ship pellets understandably. Wally World brought some B&B pellets for a real short time and they stopped. I didn't have a pellet pooper then but I think they were selling hickory and some other wood for less thand $10 a 20/lb bag.

Not sure what you are paying for pellets, but you can get them from attbbq for $22 a 20 bag, with free shipping. I can buy LJ for $8.99, so it is a no brainer. I know some say they are paying a lot more though.

Not sure what you are paying for pellets, but you can get them from attbbq for $22 a 20 bag, with free shipping. I can buy LJ for $8.99, so it is a no brainer. I know some say they are paying a lot more though.

I paid something like $12 a 20lb bag but pecan at close to $20 a bag. Not bad IMO.

I paid something like $12 a 20lb bag but pecan at close to $20 a bag. Not bad IMO.

I was just looking online, and Dicks Sporting goods has several varieties of LJ for $14.99 with 20% off your order, and free shipping. They have a pecan blend, but not 100%. That's $12 a bag delivered. I can't find them around here, so I think I will be getting some.

Although I have not tried this, I have heard from two different guys now... if you pull up ruralkings website (they sell LJ for less than Dicks Sporting Goods) and take it to Dick’s, they will price match without question. I plan on trying that next time I am in need.

My apologies for hijacking your cook thread, by talking about pellets.

I have started going to Academy Sports and buying their 40# bag of B&B competition blend. They are Oak,Cherry, Pecan blend. I would recommend you guys give them a try.

My apologies for hijacking your cook thread, by talking about pellets.

Absolutely not. It's a good discussion on what's what in the pellet fuel world. :thumb:

those look great sako.

kbs has to be the best barrel aged stout. I find CBS a bit thin compared.

Another awesome cook Sako

Beef ribs are at the top of my list for what I like to smoke.

Bloody hell Sako, you are killing me!! The food looks outstanding and then you add those beers. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

:p

Looks outstanding Sako. From the looks of that cabin I don’t think I would want to leave it

I sold my yoder - like playing with fire too much. Sold it to a buddy and he loves it. So it worked out great for both of us.

Talk to me about those rubs... the pork ribs look crazy good and I'm always searching for new rubs to try. What was the taste profile? I may need to place an order today :)

Thanks Bacchus!

It took about 5.5 to 6 hours. I started at 275 but the last two hours I bumped it to 325 ish since it got really cold in the mountains.

Thanks for posting, they look great! I've thawed my package of Creekstone Short Ribs and will be doing a similar cook on my MAK 2* for my inlaws Thanksgiving dinner we do tomorrow. To make sure I'm safe and have these ready by 5 pm, what time would you put them on? I'm leaning towards getting up early enough to have the MAK humming at 275 and ribs rubbed and on at 5:30 am, which gives me close to 12 hours before game time. But I'm going to have to trust the MAK and the temp I set because I have to work from 7 am to noon tomorrow. Is this relatively safe? Or do I get them on earlier and hold them in my warming drawer if they finish around noon?

IMO, rub your ribs down the night before. The time in the rub, acts as a dry brine, to hold in moisture. 12 hours should be more than enough time at 275. I cant remember the time, but I think that's about what mine took at 225 and bumped to 250 toward the end.

Take advantage of the Mak's controller, and go in smoke mode for 2 hours, then up it to 275. They will still get done, and give you a better product. Just my 2 cents.

I guess it pays living closer to the source. :becky: I pay $16.99 normal price for a 40# bag of LJ's and will grab them on sale for $12.99. I still have to try the Oak. I'm with you about the Comp blend. The flavor doesn't pack any punch.

Nice cook Sako!

Back