Cinnamon (maybe nutmeg?) smelling yard tree?

saltydecimator

Reaction score
howdy folks, lurked a lil on here, says i joined back in 2014 but not sure why, or what i was pondering. oh ya i do, UDS mega thread, wanted to see pics. ok now htats outta the way..... on to my question...

had a yard tree get broken down in a OKC, OK ice storm, prob back i n 2014. ive been thinking its some kind of cherry tree, but after sourcing cherry from numerous other places, ive come to the conclustion that its not normal cherry. my dad got me "woods cherry" from woods of WI, and that doesnt have alot of taste. ive tried cherry chips from Academy and they are kind of the same. This tree that i have made me think it was cherry for the longest time, mostly due to the flavor it imparted to the food, which me thinks was cherry.... either flowering cherry or possibly a fruit bearing? its been awahile, ive sold the house, and the neighbors allegedly chopped the trees in the fence line that the tree stump was in....

longstory long, i wanna identify this thing so i can get more of it! literally makes the food (pork ribs) taste liek candy!!

so the deets:

-smells like sweet cinnamon or sweet nutmet/cinnamon at the same time? or maybe allspice?
-bark appears to me to look like cherry, but smoother? or smoother than the long crusty "black cherry" type trees?
-im calling it a hardwood, but im not hung up on that...

thanks for any help!!

oh ps, when i googled the cinnamon thing, hit i got from a quick search was "red elm" or something?

Yes, elms give off a cinnamon smell

sorrry, made a new thread after this one died...

sent it in to wood id in Madison WI US forest service...

guy there said it was cherry/plum/prune/crab apple. what made it smell good was it had been physically or chemically shocked, and that caused the tree to form "extractives" in larger quanties than normally found. think the extractives are basically sugar etc, its been a couple months since ive talked to the guy there, but thats the basics.

so, takeaway, not all trees are equal

Back