MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default I'm tired of burning myself

.. as a cook and bbq'er we all get burnt.. I got like three burns in the past month. What's your record? LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow. I honestly never thought to count.

The only one that really comes to mind was stepping on the hot coal barefoot.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I placed my hand on the top open edge of a firebox that was in full swing! Not sure why, just was bending down to see what it needed!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

My favorite was not BBQ, but as a pizza cook. Busy Friday night so we got three of us handling the brick oven, one rotating and pulling cooked pizza's and the other two making up the pies to go in the oven. Guy unloading opened the stainless steel door and yanked a couple as we were ready to load two each. First guy put his two in, I put one in and while I was putting the second in, the first guy closed the oven. Burned just below the elbow and right above the wrist. Dropped the pizza I had, but it landed ok in the oven...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Fwismoker

LOL...can't honestly remember when i burnt myself last BBQ'n ...a few years maybe?

What the heck are you burning yourself on?

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
dadsr4

Stepping on hot coals barefoot a couple of times.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
gtr

Rotisserie gloves help a lot with that.

But I still burn myself from time to time, usually on the forearm while reaching for something.

My worst burn was in a kitchen I was working in - grabbed a 425 degree sheet pan that was just got pulled from the oven by somebody else. I'll never forget seeing the steam/smoke/whatever it was coming through my fingers the smell. That chit hurt!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
LOL...can't honestly remember when i burnt myself last BBQ'n ...a few years maybe?

What the heck are you burning yourself on?
Well today I was sitting a fire brick on the base of the Mini WSM so the wind wouldn't blow it over and bumped my thumb on the kettle--sizzle.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

As long as the pizza was okay, then everything would have been fine! lol

Dropped the pizza I had, but it landed ok in the oven...[/QUOTE]

Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Not BBQ-ing today but burned myself earlier while seasoning a new set of cast iron cookware...not sure why I decided to bypass the insulated gloves and grab a 10" skillet with a dish towel. When I felt the heat I nearly dropped it...so I went to stabilize it with my other hand. That thing had just come out of a 400 deg oven about 10 minutes prior!

Man those things sure can hold temp...
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Since my FEC looks more like a refrigerator it took me a couple cooks to figure out that the shelves inside are not cold but pretty dang hot!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I get burnt waaay more going in and out of my oven than I do the smoker. I always have gloves on when working with the smoker.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I burnt myself a week or so ago, taking pictures of a pre-heated 450F cast iron dutch oven, for my bread baking process I shared on the Fresh Loaf, lol.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
landarc

disfiguring burns, or just hot spots?

I was one cook in a kitchen that kicked out 125 to 150 covers a night, I burned my self 3 to 4 times an hour back then. Now, maybe once or twice a month I will redden some skin.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I had a hot coal come out of the bottom vent before and got in between by big and second toes. took me like 10-15 seconds to get it out. Man that hurt! No more grilling barefoot for me after that!