MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
woodhappens
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Pro vs Amature contest

Good day all, I am a little upset about this last weekend. They had the Pro's on Saturday and Amatures on Sunday. I talked a friend into cooking the Amature competion which was his 1st one ever. He came out Saturday to see how the Pros do it and where to set up plus parking. He walked around to look at the other teams. We had an awsome time

Sunday there was alot of Amatures teams there cooking but, he told me there was 4 to 5 pro teams there as well cooking. This is the part that I am upset. Should a Pro team be able to cook Amature the same weekend they cook in the Pro events. I feel this is not fair. Someone trying to cook vs other Amatures not Pro's. The winners of the Amature contest was all Pro teams in the Amature event. This would make me upset if I entered an Amature event. I would want to compete against Amatures. If your a Pro team and only want to cook 2 meats you can do that as well in the pro event.

Am I wrong for thinking this or is this something that this is just the way it is. I love our sport and want it to grow and we should support our friends that want to cook in the Amature events. These our the next teams of the future. This is just how I feel and would love some feed back.
woodhappens is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

What do the rules for the back yard division state as far as what the definition of a "pro" or "amatuer" team is? Are "pro" team specifically disqualified from the back yard division contest? Did any body inform the contest reps?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

It's a pretty lame thing to do but there are no rules against it.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Discussed here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=pro

To me, once ya cook Pro, leave the Amateur Div alone.
But, lots of different opinions and little, if any, guidance by the sanctioning bodies.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

I know some orgs have a rule that states once you are "head cook" once than you can't go am, but say the head cooks sits out and the rest of the team uses all of the equipment and everything but the head cook is gone than they would be allowed.
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I think that if an organizer has a sanctioned and unsantioned event in the same location, the same weekend, the same or different days, teams should not be allowed to cook both. Depends on the rules of the individual comp though.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This was a new organizer and I am sure that had a lot to do with it....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

There's no officially defined delineation between pro and amateur. So it was up to the organizer to define it. If he did, and a team of seasoned veterans swooped in and stole the show, shame on them. If there were no rules defined, then its just a name to a contest. Pro to me means you make a living out of something, not a level of experience. Example, a team of 4 executive chefs from 5 star restaurants formed a BBQ team, never competed before, went out for the first time and placed... are they pro? Conversely a rookie team enters a "pro" contest and cleans up(know to happen), did they do wrong?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

So the question remains... When does a team/cook become a "pro?"
First entry in a pro contest?
First GC in a pro contest?
First Call/Payout in a pro contest?
Whenever they want to say they are "professional"?
Very few of us make money on BBQ as a "profession"...

N
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
There's no officially defined delineation between pro and amateur. So it was up to the organizer to define it.
That's it in a nut shell, at least for KCBS comps. If the organizer doesn't put any limits on who can enter the backyard comps then it's open season, rightly or wrongly. Keep in mind that most of the time the backyard or amateur contests aren't sanctioned by anyone - the organizer has to set the rules.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is somewhat hard to define what officially makes team Pro. Might be fairly easy to say if a team has competed for years and won many (or any) GC's that they shouldn't even do backyard, but if it isn't against the rules then nothing that can be done if the organizer didn't stipulate who could sign up for Amateur.

I have no qualms about saying to anyone that in my rookie year we started out with a few backyard then did a few Pro and bounced back to backyard a few time that year then back to Pro. Some of the events we entered after our first few backyard simply didn't have a "backyard" division so to get experience we signed up for whatever we could. Heck in our first Pro event after getting calls in our first 2 backyard and doing well there we set a goal that almost everyone does, which is don't finish dead ass last. Well we finished dead freaking ass last and it blew. So then we did a few more backyard and finished with a few more pro.

So now to answer your question. I don't think it is wrong for what you are thinking if those were seasoned pro teams. I would feel the same. But depending how "seasoned" is where the "fine line" dancing discussion begins and will probably never end as there isn't a set of rules, only opinions. Though some events certainly do stipulate if you have ever competed in a Pro event no matter if you tanked and finished last, then you can't do backyard. But if the organizer doesn't stipulate then it is fair (fair being relative term) game.

Nordy posed very good questions about what makes a team a "Pro". But there could be even more criteria for defining Pro than even those. It would be interesting to see those questions in a Poll on the forum and see what a consensus might turn up. I'm guessing either way this discussion will be around "till the cows come home". Oh I said it .

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I don't care who competes in the backyard contests. Just put the backyard teams all together at the contest.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

just out the "pros" so that the rest of us can make sure and mock them next time we see them for bottom feeding. they didnt break anything but man law. They probably toted their checks home in their purse.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I keep seeing the term "pro event" thrown out in the posts, so with that, what made those events "pro" ?

I have never seen an event advertised as "pro only". Yet i have seen "shadetree" where it was specified "first time competitors" or "once a year" competitors only.

So if i arrive at a contest and its full of weekend warriors is it then decided its amateur?

If a so called pro contest fills up with all first year or rookie teams and no veterans, what is it?

If an unlabled event attracts the jack and ar winners does that make it a different contest all of a sudden(not to me)

Maybe it was regional with the NE having little to no choices but when i started out competing i was going against ray lampe and adam perry lang. A contest was a contest was a contest.

I dont think anyone who considers competing and making the investment is going in without the ability to win. They already have the skills and only need to learn timing. If they can get timing down the "any given day" will set in and a first year amateur team can walk away with the gold.

So i guess unless the organizer states first time teams or once a year competitors or something specific, theres no dog in the fight and the contest is wide open.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I keep seeing the term "pro event" thrown out in the posts, so with that, what made those events "pro" ?

I have never seen an event advertised as "pro only". Yet i have seen "shadetree" where it was specified "first time competitors" or "once a year" competitors only.

So if i arrive at a contest and its full of weekend warriors is it then decided its amateur?

If a so called pro contest fills up with all first year or rookie teams and no veterans, what is it?

If an unlabled event attracts the jack and ar winners does that make it a different contest all of a sudden(not to me)

Maybe it was regional with the NE having little to no choices but when i started out competing i was going against ray lampe and adam perry lang. A contest was a contest was a contest.

I dont think anyone who considers competing and making the investment is going in without the ability to win. They already have the skills and only need to learn timing. If they can get timing down the "any given day" will set in and a first year amateur team can walk away with the gold.

So i guess unless the organizer states first time teams or once a year competitors or something specific, theres no dog in the fight and the contest is wide open.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

most contests with both a sanctioned KCBS contest and an unsanctioned contest generally refer to the sanctioned as the "pro" event and the unsanctioned as the "backyard" or "amateur" event.

For example

http://www.hoghappenin.org/

which refers to "Pro" and "tailgate" events.

The tailgate entry fee is a fraction of the pro event and the prizes are much smaller. They even go so far as give free entry into next year's "pro" event to the winner of the tailgate contest.

Having a single unsanctioned event without saying who can enter is one thing. Having 2 contests on the same weekend where there are clear divisions is another.

I dont think that anyone broke any rules, I just want to know who they are so I can make fun of them.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote