MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Default First Cook of the New Year

Thought I'd start off my cooking this year with a brisket (11.7 lbs after trimming) and a butt (7.1 lbs).

Here they are all injected and rubbed down:

and onto the XL Egg:

to be continued...

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Continue it Quick!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Continue it Quick!
...and for my next pic... raw meat! Sorry my friend, it'll be a while.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

It's not too bad outside, looking forward to the end product.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey John
Please HURRY I'm really hungry NOW!!!!!

Yea I know it's done when it's done

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Brown it's cookin', black it's done"....................Dad. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......:shocked:[/FONT]
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
bigabyte

That's a nice looking start, looking forward to the end!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #7
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Maybe this should have been titled "first mismanaged cook of the year" as I'm way off on my times. It definitely didn't help that I got lazy and didn't clean out my Egg and didn't put in enough lump. So much fun handling a hot plate setter with a drip pan! That's a mistake I won't make again.

I also went without foiling until the rest period this time (I normally foil when IT reaches around 165) and I'm pretty sure that added to the cook time as well. The butt was removed at 196 degrees and only rested just over an hour (I normally wait 2+ hours). The bone put up a little fight which I'm not used to. Flavor is good but not quite as tender as I like. I forgot to take a picture of the butt before pulling. It had a nice dark bark to it.

Here's the pulled pork:

The brisket is still on the Egg. It cleared 190 and upon first probe still had some resistence. It definitely more bark than when I foil. Hopefully it'll get the tenderness I'm looking for. I'll have a pic at some point tonight. Getting kind of late for me to make burnt ends...

Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin good John! Hope you don't have to work tomorrow.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

looks good to me

Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
Lookin good John! Hope you don't have to work tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I do have to work. This is turning into the cook I would like to forget. In 45 minutes, IT has dropped 2 degrees down to 188. WTH? I have a bad feeling about this...

Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
landarc

You can do it John, just another hour or so.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 AM   #12
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
You can do it John, just another hour or so.
There is no "Stumping The Landarc" is there? Of course you were right Bob.

Here's the brisket (that strange curve towards the bottom of the meat is an errant cut by a butcher):

Some smaller slices with some crazy bark:

Brisket was a little overcooked and it crumbled a little in a couple of places so I have some "chopped brisket". I was a bit surprised at how tender it came out considering I didn't foil until the end.

I'm happy with the result but not happy with how many mistakes I made.

Now I gotta get some sleep.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Forgot one pic of the ends which could have used more cooking time but it was just too late:

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Anything you are not happy with you can send to me! Looks awesome from here.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Everything loos like it turned out quite tasty
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote