MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Default Packaging and selling sauce and rubs and sauces

I am just wondering what all would be involved in packaging and selling your own sauce and/or rubs. I know some of you do it, so what hoops did you have to jump through first?
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

How much do you want to sell and where do you want to sell it?

FDA will mandate some of your requirements depending on the quantity you plan on selling and State and Local laws will also come into play with regards to things like liability insurance.

You should check with your local HD to see what's required in your area.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Any idea where, if anywhere, local requirement are online. I spent quite a while looking on both the state and county websites and couldn't find anything.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

And if any mod happens to stumble in here could you please fix the thread title. No need to sell sauce twice.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I'd jsut call the Health department and tell them what you want to do. They'll give yo uall sorts of resources.

Another option is to work with a co-packer. It's more expensive, but they take care of all of that crap for you.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I'd jsut call the Health department and tell them what you want to do. They'll give yo uall sorts of resources.

Another option is to work with a co-packer. It's more expensive, but they take care of all of that crap for you.
I never even thought about that. Might have to see if there are any around here.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post

Most folks use a co-packer. Otherwise you are dealing with setting up a USDAl approved facility to market across State lines. I've heard estimates of 100k to 250k to setup a facility like this.

This is a good starting point http://www.fsis.usda.gov/index.asp

Old 10-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Most folks use a co-packer. Otherwise you are dealing with setting up a USDAl approved facility to market across State lines. I've heard estimates of 100k to 250k to setup a facility like this.

This is a good starting point http://www.fsis.usda.gov/index.asp
I knew dealing with the USDA would be a hassles but I had no clue it would be that expensive. Looks like a copacker it is. So do I just give them a recipe and they handle everything?

Anybody have any estimates of cost and minimum orders for dealing with a packer? I'm sure it varies drastically but just looking for a rough idea.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
3 Rivers BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have been working on getting my sauce bottled and it is so much red tape between local, state and federal regulations. The min. for copackers is anywhere from 75 to 200 gallons for first time, plus process fee, package fee...etc. I suggest to cost out how much you can produce a gallon of your sauce, so you can get an ideal of approx. cost per bottle(12 or 16 oz). Don't cost yourself out of the average sauce price. This comes from personal experience.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers BBQ View Post
I have been working on getting my sauce bottled and it is so much red tape between local, state and federal regulations. The min. for copackers is anywhere from 75 to 200 gallons for first time, plus process fee, package fee...etc. I suggest to cost out how much you can produce a gallon of your sauce, so you can get an ideal of approx. cost per bottle(12 or 16 oz). Don't cost yourself out of the average sauce price. This comes from personal experience.

Amen!

A Co-Packer is the way to go.