Throwdown on the River, Dubuque IA, 8/30-8/31 ***Results Added***

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Who's comming?
Got a call from the organizer looking for a couple more judges, so looks like Julie and I will be there afterall. N2Q was going to be judging last time we talked to them.. The weather looks perfect for Sat. & Sun.
See ya'll there..
ModelMaker

Ulcer Acres will be there. We will be late on Saturday as we are part of the Carvan or Carnival of Carnage coming from Milw.

We'll be rolling in sometime tomorrow evening. I'm planning on dropping off the trailer and spending tomorrow night in a nice, comfy hotel room.

What name you cooking under? We'll stop by.
We're doing a contest next month and would like to compare notes.
ModelMaker

Look forward to meeting you! Team name is "Holy and Oly's" We'll be there with a green Horizon 24" and a camper ready to get our @$$es handed to us! - there for the fun on it, I suppose. My name is Nate, BTW. See you tomorrow.

We have a white 6 x 12 V-Nose cargo trailer with a camper door, windows and a side awning. We'll be flying our banner hanging off of the awning. It will be great to meet all of you. We traditionally have a bog pot of coffee for Saturday morning so stop by for a cup. It is usually ready around 6:30.

Me and Dianne will be there Judging and BS'n afterwords, will stay for awards, and good luck everyone cooking

Change of plans, My allergies are kickin my arse so we're not going to make it Sat. I will however be there Sun. morn for judging and will hook up with all afterwards.
ModelMaker (Ed)

We had a great time in Dubuque! The weather was fantastic (OK, maybe a little hot) and the competition was well run and there were very few hiccups (that I know of, at least). I met Monty3777, Buster Dog BBQ and Modelmaker and N2Que (Bill and Diane) stopped by after judging. There were 37 teams including the Caravan of Carnage from Milwaukee who pulled in with horns blaring at around 8:30pm on Saturday.

We were happy with all of our turn ins, but the scores didn't reflect our happiness :rolleyes: The scores are what they are, but I still can't understand how four judges at a table can score an entry an 8 or 9 and then two judges score it a 5! That happened in three categories and dragged us down in the standings.

Grand Champion: The Heat is On
Reserve Champion: Iowa Smokey D's

Overall:
1 The Heat is On
2 Iowa Smokey D's
3 Cancer Sucks Chicago.com
4 If You Got 'em, Smoke 'e
5 A Boy and His BBQ
6 Carcass Cookers
7 Ulcer Acres
8 Grumpy Old Farts
9 Woodfellas
10 Squirrels 2 BBQ
11 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que

Chicken:
1 The Heat is On
2 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
3 Squirrels 2 BBQ
4 Daddy's Smokin' It
5 Woodfellas
6 A Boy and His BBQ
7 Iowa Smokey D's
8 Cancer Sucks Chicago.com
9 Smokin' Big Dawgs
10 Ulcer Acres
13 Busterdog BBQ
- Winner of the Sledneck Chicken Award :-D

Ribs:
1 If You Got 'em, Smoke 'e
2 Cancer Sucks Chicago.com
3 Iowa Smokey D's
4 Grumpy Old Farts
5 Daddy's Smokin' It
6 Smokin's Bandits BBQ
7 A Boy and His BBQ
8 Dry 2 Da Bone
9 Southland Park BBQ
10 The Heat is On
22 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que

Pork:
1 If You Got 'em, Smoke 'e
2 Iowa Outlaws
3 3 Headed Monster
4 Iowa Smokey D's
5 The Heat is On
6 Young Guns BBQ
7 Meadow Valley
8 Ulcer Acres
9 Cancer Sucks Chicago.com

10 Ponderosa BBQ
14 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que

Brisket:
1 Woodfellas
2 Carcass Cookers
3 Iowa Smokey D's
4 The Heat is On
5 A Boy and His BBQ
6 Cancer Sucks Chicago.com
7 Quau
8 If You Got 'em, Smoke 'e
9 Ulcer Acres
10 Grumpy Old Farts
15 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que

Last edited:
Thanks, great contest!!! Nice job everyone. I need to do a better job of going around and meeting everyone.

Congrats to Cancer Sucks, Ulcer Acres, and everone else who walked. See most of you at the royal in a few weeks.

Back