Uneven Heat Distribution with Primo

bbqhobby

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a Primo ceramic cooker (small) that I've owned for about a year. I really enjoy smoking on the unit - the diverter certainly helps. When I grill on the Primo, the heat is concentrated in the middle fo the grill as the air draft comes through the middle base of the unit. I move the charcoal around to spread the hot coals, but the outter edges soon cool off. So, I end up moving my chicken\steaks around the grate to try and even out the cook time.

Is this a common issue among kettle, ceramic and other grills with similiar designs (middle botton vent)?

If so, what other charocal grills would you recommend (I already have a pellet grill) that can use lump\briquette charcoal that has even heat distribution.

Thanks

Primo

How are you lighting the Primo? It sounds like you have to much lump started and it is making a hot spot. I had the same type of problem until i began using the volcano lighting method with 1/2 of a weber starting cube. I learned alot for a site called www.kamadoguru.com that specializes in kamado style cooking.

Back