MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default What's Cookin' (17-18 Dec 05)

I ended up not getting the catering gig I was supposed to be doing today, so I just put on a brisket for this afternoon's game (Chiefs v Giants). Got it in the cooker about 2.5 hrs behind schedule (didn't hear my alarm at 3am ) Oh well it'll be fine, will be good to eat smoked beef whenever it gets done.

Am cooking another shop party next friday, and will do the annual Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Christmas Ham and a turkey breast or two next weekend. Lots of smokin', Merry Christmas to me!!

Best Holiday Wishes to the Brethren as well, what y'all got on the grates this weekend?

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I'm smoking six racks of BB and a Pork loin roast for my Granddaugthers tenth anniversary party. Probably will do seven pounds of beans.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
The Woodman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
I ended up not getting the catering gig I was supposed to be doing today, so I just put on a brisket for this afternoon's game (Chiefs v Giants). Got it in the cooker about 2.5 hrs behind schedule (didn't hear my alarm at 3am ) Oh well it'll be fine, will be good to eat smoked beef whenever it gets done.

Am cooking another shop party next friday, and will do the annual Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Christmas Ham and a turkey breast or two next weekend. Lots of smokin', Merry Christmas to me!!

Best Holiday Wishes to the Brethren as well, what y'all got on the grates this weekend?
Hey Kquer, is that a Cimarron in your avatar? I almost bought one of those off of Americas Best BBQ< but ended up throwing down the extra cash on a Klose 36" x 20" instead. How is that working for you? Oh, cooking some squash soup from a San Antonio regional cookbook "Los Barrios."
Rickenbacker 4004 Cii -Rickenbacker 4003-09
Rickenbacker 4001 - RIckenbacker 4001c64
Rickenbacker Fretless 4003-08- Fender P-Bass
Warwick Fretless Corvette-Gibson EB-3
[URL="http://www.woodmansbbq.com"]www.woodmansbbq.com[/URL]
The Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Woody, yes that is a Cimarron (Deluxe). I bought it at Bass Pro Shops Outlet store a year ago last May for $250!! Glad whoever bought and returned it didn't want to put it together.
It's a great cooker, small but holds heat well and is my favorite of my 3 smokers when volume isn't an issue. The built in fryer burner is as handy as a pocket on a shirt for lighting chimneys of charcoal too.
I do a modified Minion Method burn with the Cimarron that gives me 3 hours unattend cooking right in the 230* range, and also use it for chicken which I cook hotter (275-300) with great results.

At half price, the Cimarron was a great deal, for the asking price, I would have opted to spend a bit more and gone bigger.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh

Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Forgot to mention, after putting the brisket on and sneaking in a nap, I went and got 3# of thick sliced bacon and a dozen sweet Italian links to keep the brisket company. Nothing goes with beef like pork!!

Old 12-17-2005, 10:53 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Forgot to mention, after putting the brisket on and sneaking in a nap, I went and got 3# of thick sliced bacon and a dozen sweet Italian links to keep the brisket company. Nothing goes with beef like pork!!
I *HATE* it when my brisket gets lonely!

Sounds good, KC! What time is dinner?

We're going out tonight. My wife and her sister are huge fans of the movie "It's a Wondderful Life" and a local theatre is having special showing including having one of the stars (one of the kids) in person, so we're going to see the movie

This theatre also has a full bar ( ) and serves regular food, so I think dinner will be there.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
ggeilman
is One Chatty Farker

I am defrosting a brisket, picnic, beef ribs, spares, pork grilling strips and 4 fatties to smoke tomorrow. Still trying to figure out what to do with the 2 boar. I don't have the proper tools to cut it myself. I am still thinking the baby will fit whole in the bandera.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tex-mex marathon today. Added a little smoke to a brisket for some carne guisada early, and then smoked a bunch of chicken boobs that will end up in enchiladas. Fajitas hit the grill later today.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Going to smoke a couple of chickens for later in the week and chicken salad. Wifey wants steak tonight. Inside I'll be making more breadsticks and raviolli's for Christmas.
I'm going to grind up about a pound of a leftover smoked stuffed centerloin roast for some of the raviolli's. Also going to roll out some more lasagna noodles so I can put a couple of pans together and throw in the freezer as long as I'm in the pasta making mode.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2005, 08:10 AM   #10
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I haven,t cooked since T DAy

:(

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2005, 09:05 AM   #11
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
I haven,t cooked since T DAy

:(

You must be getting real hungry by now!!!!!

I haven’t cooked (outside) either since about, the end of Sept.

Every time I go into the backyard lately, my Dera starts shaking and wondering, just who the heck I am.

I guess a reintroduction is due Christmas weekend, since business is finally starting to taper off.

Gonna do a prime rib, and may try some of those chicken lollipops.
Can't wait!!!!
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 12-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just did 120 tamales yesterday. See the tamale thread.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #13
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Just put on 2 pork loins that been in the fridge rubbed down with the buckboard bacon cure. My family likes it on the pork loin much more than the butt.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
icemn62
Babbling Farker

I am cooking brisket today. was supposed to put it on last night, but had a few too many bottles to remember. Did sleep good though. Now I am getting ready to slice 1 of the fatties I smoked., Brisket for office Christmas party, Fatty for an appetizer thing at work for Breakfast. Sliced, and cubed, toothpick, piece of cheese, nice treat.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #15
Arlin_MacRae

I got lazy and Q'ed a pre-marinaded pork loin. Three hours, mopped with cherry-raspberry juice twice. Foiled for ten minutes. Damn, I'm good. ;)

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote