Our Easter Dinner (heavy on the pics)

L

LoveBBQ

This year I asked where we were going to have Easter dinner and nobody spoke up. Our daughter's b-day party was the day before and we didn't want to do it either, but I finally said fine and agreed to have everyone over. Decided to cook a butt and a Morton's tri tip plus some sides. Here's how it went.

Bought the butt at Costco and didn't realize it was missing the bone. Never had that happen before. Here is what it looks like when bone is out and you open it up.

original.jpg

So I rubbed her down inside and out with something I threw together. Brown sugar, Paprika, Kosher salt, Ground Black Pepper, Minced Garlic, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and a little Cayenne Pepper. Now we are at this point.

original.jpg

Now, I'm still using only a gas grill for now, but acquiring parts for my UDS build (waiting on my free drum). So my smoking setup looks something like this, with a smoker box against the front open corner and the meat opposite corner for indirect cooking low and slow at 225. Used apple wood for the butt.

original.jpg

original.jpg

About 6 hours I also started spraying a mop of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and more rub. Now she looked like this:

original.jpg

At around 1pm she stalled at 160 for about 1.5 hours so I wrapped her in foil and bumped up the temp slightly to 250. She was pretty tender all over except two small places at this point, but she hit 190 about an hour later and was ready to come off. She rested another hour and ended up like this:

original.jpg

She was then chopped and I saved the juice from the foil to pour over her. YUMMY!

original.jpg

The Morton's tri tip comes pre-packaged from Costco and marinated in some lovely stuff so I didn't take any before shots. But here she is after cooking to 135 with a reverse sear and resting.

original.jpg

And sliced up.

original.jpg

To go along with the butt and tri tip we had some home made garlic bread, baked beans (two cans of Ranch beans and one can of Bush's Grillin Beans, plus some home made Mac and Cheese.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

All told we enjoyed every bit of it. Only had two slices of tri tip left which I gladly ate for lunch today, and about 1/3 of the pork and a little of the sides which should make good lunches for the next couple of days.

Looks great, I'm surprised you had any of that pork left. I can't remember the last time I made a home made baked Mac & Cheese.

wow, that looks great!

I like the idea with using a gas grill, sometimes I do not have access of a smoker when vacationing, but usually a gas grill. going have to try that.

Lookin good bro!
Gassers ROCK!
:behindsofa:

:becky:

Tasty lookin feast!:thumb:

Looks great, I'm surprised you had any of that pork left. I can't remember the last time I made a home made baked Mac & Cheese.
Well we only had 8 adults and 3 small kids to feed. Made about 11-12lbs of meat plus all the sides. I can promise you this though, it won't go to waste! :wink:
This pic is simply beautiful. I bet it tasted as good as it looks too.:thumb::thumb:

original.jpg
Thanks! It did taste as good as it looks!
wow, that looks great!

I like the idea with using a gas grill, sometimes I do not have access of a smoker when vacationing, but usually a gas grill. going have to try that.
Thanks! You won't get the full bark you do from a smoker unless you load up a couple of boxes and have a very tightly sealed gas grill. But having the gasser is very versatile and allows me to learn easier than going straight to a smoker.
Lookin good bro!
Gassers ROCK!
:behindsofa:

:becky:

Tasty lookin feast!:thumb:
Haha thanks! I agree!

Back