All Wood on the UDS

peppasawce

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have all but finished my build of my 1st Ugly Drum Smoker.. I have cooked only once on it and I was well pleased with the outcome!! I used Kingsford Charcoal, but I want to Burn all Wood....Can one burn all Wood in the UDS?? All answers are welcome!!!:thumb:peppa!!

I don't use all wood in my UDS but I do use quiet a bit of wood chips layered in with the charcoal. All wood though I am still pondering.

Thanks Alan, but I know there is someone here that has at least tried it with all Wood on the UDS

I can see it working just seems like you would be in and out of the drum replacing wood. Heck I might give it a try to see how it works

I know, I thought about being in and out of the Drum also!! I believe however that once your cooking unit gets enough hot coals from the wood Burnoff it will set itself just as if lump or briquets were being used

I'm going to try to pack the basket with apple wood chips and try the minion method with a few lump chunks and see how it burns with limited airflow.

I honestly do not think it would work unless you like creosote taste on your food(low and slow) or food burned to a crisp.(hi heat) Stick with briquet's or lump. Vince

I think that it's Mark who uses wood in his UDS. Maybe he will check in later.

Why not use hardwood lump? You would be making this to get the fire going in the UDS. Just like in a offset, you need to let the wood burn down to coals to get to the low and slow phase. Lump would eliminate this step. It is wood and adding wood chunks will give you the smoke.

^^^ yep, don't kill youself trying to make a smoker work different than it was intended. The lump will produce the same flavor, JMHO.

I use Royal Oak Steakhouse. I get it at Menard's for like $4.64 for 8.8#. That is more than enough to do a butt or brisket on a UDS.

Ditto what Bryan ^^^^^ said. And with charcoal you shouldn't have to re-load durring the cook.

I will check all our super markets for the Lump...Thanks everyone....I will however try an all wood cook on my UDS unit just for the heck of it

When I cook Chicken on my UDS I use more wood than charcoal but, it's because I like doing my chicken hot and fast (325 ish). If I fill the basket of my UDS with mainly wood, I've found it lasts maybe a third as long as the usual mainly coal with a couple handfulls of wood chips or chunks basket load.

i put 6-7 lbs of kingsford and top it off with a couple pieces of oak or pecan or both. it will run 12-14 hours at 235 with one bottom vent open. oh, and i get it going with about 1/2 a starter full of hot coals.:thumb:

Thanks capri man and BigButzBBQ I will keep all of these great tips in mind whenever I start my Wood experiment

Back