MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Cooked in a big stainless bowl over a gas burner. Popcorn salt, the pink stuff with MSG in it. Melted butter. BRB got to whip some up now.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #32
KaiserKrebs
Got Wood.

Popcorn, I love it! I found a brand new Whirley-Pop at my local thrift store about five years ago, and use it regularly. I always like traditional butter and salt, but when the wife and I are going to watch a movie at home I'll whip up my version of "elote" Mexican street corn-popcorn. I pop my corn in vegetable oil, and in a small pan on the stove melt about a half stick of butter, squeeze 1/2 a lime into warm butter, drizzle over popcorn in bowl, season with salt, grated Cotija cheese, or Parmesan, and Taijin Mexican seasoning. If you can't find Taijin, chili powder works well too. Having machetes handy is optional, depending if you are inclined to share or not.

In my teens, I went on an Outward Bound hiking trip and we'd make fireside popcorn, that our guide seasoned with salt, pepper, and brewers yeast of all things. Weird but delicious
KaiserKrebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #33
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Gosh. My popper is a brown paper sack. Just dump in what I want and microwave it on high till its done. I'm partial to butter and salt, but a good dose of Cajun spice is great too.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #34
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
Gosh. My pooper is a brown paper sack. Just dump and I'm done. A good dose of Superlax is great too.
ID give Toast a "run" for his money.
FTFY

Old 07-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #35
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I like the big mushroom kernels. Bass Pro in St. Louis, sells kettle corn made with mushroom kernels outside their store on the weekends. Salty & sweet!

http://shop.justpoppin.com/gourmet-p...m-popcorn.html

Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #36
JonM106
Knows what a fatty is.

I usually take 1/2 stick of butter, melt about 1/3 of that in a 2.5 qt pan then toss in enough kernels to form a single layer on the bottom. Melt the rest of the butter and drizzle that over the popped corn and toss with salt.

Next time, though, I'm going to try popping it with bacon grease in the pan instead of butter.
JonM106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #37
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

My brother in law and his wife throw a couple of handfulls of milk chocolate M&M's in the bowl of popped corn, it's not bad.

Myself, I usually only eat popcorn when I am at work on weekends so it is microwave bags that I sprinkle season salt on.
MCBJ & CTC #5112

Traeger Texas 075
Blackstone Tailgater

Family: Where Life Begins, and Love Never Ends.

bignburlyman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #38
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignburlyman View Post
Myself, I usually only eat popcorn when I am at work on weekends so it is microwave bags that I sprinkle season salt on.
Dude! Yuk!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a HUGE popcorn fan, and have been making my own stove top or over a fire for probably 15 years (I'm 32). It's one of the first things I learned to cook well on my own. I am a big fan of the Whirly Pop that some of you have mentioned. Its my go-to Christmas gift if I have to give something to someone that "already has everything." I like plain old butter and salt, my wife likes to mix hers with something sweet - M&Ms or something like that. Rosemary and parmesan (fresh, not from the shaker) is a REALLY tasty combination. Also, butter and cajun spice is nice.

A movie theater around here sells what they bill as "bacon popcorn." Its just popcorn with bacon grease drizzled on top. Its pretty soggy and not good at all. I know some of the great minds on here can improve greatly on that! Thanks for starting a thread about my all time favorite food - popcorn!

P.S. I've often wondered what smoked popcorn would taste like. Thinking about popping some up the next time I have my UDS rolling, and then placing in a metal colander and setting in the smoker for just a couple of minutes.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #40
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

I take my daughter to the farmer's market some Saturdays, and the best part is knocking out a whole bag of the kettle corn they make to order right before we leave. I need to figure out how to make that stuff, its very "crack-like"

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #41
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
That's a good thread, thanx!!!

By the way I pop my corn in olive oil with a few pats of butter melted
in it...
have you ever tried coconut oil? For a little extra kick add a splash of your favorite hot sauce.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #42
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Good thread! I love popcorn.I have never made it from scratch. I love movie theater buttered popcorn. I have to believe that popcorn popped in bacon grease is awesome, even if it can kill me.

I'm not much into sweet popcorn. Small amounts are okay.

I need to follow this thread. Thanks N8.

CD
you have NEVER made popcorn??

not even Jiffy Pop??
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #43
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

I use a stir crazy popper too and I use BACON grease and it is the bomb. For an avg batch (3/4 cup of corn) i use about 2ish TBS of bacon grease. I save my bacon drippings and occasionally when we eat maple bacon those flavors comes through. Kind of cool. From there season with butter and salt. But you have to have some good corn. I get mine from Indiana.

popcorn website: http://www.selectpopcorn.com/

Last edited by wmarkw; 07-25-2013 at 11:32 AM..
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #44
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just found the popcorn button on my microwave the other day. I keep pressing it but it never spits out popcorn. What am I doing wrong? I probably paid extra for that feature too.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #45
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
I just found the popcorn button on my microwave the other day. I keep pressing it but it never spits out popcorn. What am I doing wrong? I probably paid extra for that feature too.

Damn Starfleet surpluss auction crap...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->