Things I've Never Tried

S

SmokeInDaEye

So I have a week off and my plan has been to cook things Ive never tried before. Feel free to add your own ideas, either for me to cook or things you tried for the first time.

Started yesterday with "chicken lollypops", followed by short ribs sandwiches topped with my first attempt at pickled red onions and some other stuff. Woke up this morning to my first batch of home made gravlax on bagels.

Tomorrow is home made bacon day....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmm . . . . what is gravlax?

Good luck with the bacon. We make home made bacon and love it.

You are off to a very good start!

How did the short ribs come out for you? I almost always find them too greasy for my liking.

What kind of set up are you using for the gravlax? It should be good weather for cold smoking.

Yeah, home curing is great. If you haven't done pastrami yet you should give it a try.
I've been using some real chity cheap cuts of veal, beef, and lamb to challenge myself, that always fun. Braised lamb shanks come out great. I do them in the wsm in a disposable pan. I have a whole veal breast in the freezer that I might cook this weekend.
Hey, Clint I'd love that pickled red onion recipe.

Mike

From the title of this thread, it could easily need moving into the Woodpile :mrgreen:

You are off to a very good start!

How did the short ribs come out for you? I almost always find them too greasy for my liking.

What kind of set up are you using for the gravlax? It should be good weather for cold smoking.

Short ribs (actually used the big dino beef ribs from Restaurant Depot) were perfect, but I drained a ton of grease right after they were done.

The gravlax were surprisingly easy, no cold smoking just curing.

One boneless salmon filet (got mine from Costco) rubbed with 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 sugar, fresh dill, zest from one orange and 1/4 cup tequila. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a baking dish. Add weight to the top of the wrapped salmon (I used a cast iron skillet) and refrigerate for 48 hours. Remove, rinse well and slice thin.

Served them with bagels, cream cheese, pickled onions, etc. yesterday morning and made a salmon dip with some of it.

Yeah, home curing is great. If you haven't done pastrami yet you should give it a try.
I've been using some real chity cheap cuts of veal, beef, and lamb to challenge myself, that always fun. Braised lamb shanks come out great. I do them in the wsm in a disposable pan. I have a whole veal breast in the freezer that I might cook this weekend.
Hey, Clint I'd love that pickled red onion recipe.

Mike

My BB Bacon cure didn't come today so have to do the bacon tomorrow. Making smoked oyster chowder tonight instead.

Those pickled onions are crazy good! 1.5# red onion, thinly sliced, 1.5 tspn salt, 1/2 tspn dried oregano, 1 cup lime juice, 12 cup white vinegar mixed together (I added a dried chipotle pepper) in a large ziplock with most of the air removed. Refrigerate over night. Drain and eat.

For me it's lamb, tri-tip and plank salmon as well as some others too numerous to mention.
Maybe I'll get to some of these as I go through 08. I just love my pork,beef and chicken too much. Those types of meat keep me busy. The family loves em as well!!

Those pickled onions are crazy good! 1.5# red onion, thinly sliced, 1.5 tspn salt, 1/2 tspn dried oregano, 1 cup lime juice, 12 cup white vinegar mixed together (I added a dried chipotle pepper) in a large ziplock with most of the air removed. Refrigerate over night. Drain and eat.

I fell in love with pickled onions in Bermuda a few years ago. They use it everywhere on that island. It's a great condiment and goes well with just about anything. Try some on some pan seared sea bass, its just the right crunch and acid for that fish.

Mike

What did you think of the lolipops? Was it worth the work?

After a trimming a few, I got pretty fast at it. The guests loved them. Rubbed them with Yardbird, wrapped with bacon then smoked for a couple hours on makeshift racks (cut "x"s in the bottom of disposable pans and stuck chix bones through). Served with a homemade blue cheese dressing.

OK, tell me more about the lollipops. Is there a thread on them here somewhere???

Just finished trimming some "pork cushion meat" I found at the store yesterday. Seems to be parts of a boneless shoulder and the 9.75# bag contained about 9 odd pieces. After a little trimming of fat and silver skin, I actually wound up with 7 fairly consisted pieces, shaped sort of like mini pork roasts. Plan to inject, rub, then cook them to about 200* unless someone knows better?

My pork bellies are done curing and will cook the cushion meat and bacon tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clint, I made these with the recipe from this thread. I added some pepper corns and sliced jalapeños. Thanks! I did some panko crusted pan seared haddock with these as a condiment and they were great.
Picture001-4.jpg

Back