bandera question

E

eeltempered

I am brand new to your brethen and new to smoking, had an old weber once but, mostly grilling. I saw the bandera and think i would like it but I have read that Chargrill makes them now and I want to know what ya'lls opinion is on their version because it seems that the old New Braunfels are not available anymore. I would really appreciate some response, I am anxious to purchase but dont rush and make a mistake. I also see where you dont much care for newbies so I apologize in advance for dumb questions or comments. thanks eeltempered.

1st there are no dumb questions, just questions we haven't heard yet :-D
The folks here are a wealth of information. Just keep asking questions and read the Bandera 101 (click on the flame on the homepage). You can also use the search function. I can't answer your questions about the Bandera, since I have a BSKD (Brinlman Smoke King Deluxe or a queerdera because it's backwards or a mirror image). If you haven't yet, go to the cattle call area and introduce yourself. Then ask some more questions.:mrgreen:

You wont make a mistake buying the new Bandera. It'll give you fine Q. I think its made by Brinkman now not Chargrill. BSKD's they're called. Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe. Buy it, you wont be sorry.

We love newbies. If you havent already done so introduce yourself in Cattle Call and then proceed to give and take. We're a big happy family here. Welcome.

WHOA! The Brethren don't like newbies??? That's a new one to me! Welcome to the site and go get that Bandera! The Brinkman Brauma mentioned is a "lefty" so to speak. The firebox is on the left side whereas on the New Braunfels/Charbroil, the firebox is on the right side. I have the Brinkman myself. While I only use my WSM for brisket and butts now simply because of longer burn times, the BSKD turns out killer ribs! It'll do anything good but needs some mods and some babysitting time.

Howdy eel. Welcome. As some of the guys have mentioned....don't be afraid to ask questions, and I want to know where you got the impression the Brethren doesn't like newbies. We were all newbies at some point. I can speak about this because I was in your shoes not that long ago. I can honestly tell you we will do everything we can to help you along. Heck, these guys had me making good Q on my first cook. Checkout the Roadmap, I still visit it now and then. I bought a Charbroil Bandera and LOVE it. I do recommend a Spicewine firebasket, from our good buddy at www.spicewineironworks.com. Spice is a pro and builds some awesome smokers. He knows his Q. His basket really helps regulate the temps and add to the burn time of the bandera. It's made my life a whole lot easier. It doesn't matter if it's the lefty or righty, heck, checkout Mr. Smokers sometime,(checking out the photo section is a must) it's a lefty and a righty (he combined a Bandera and a Smoke King Deluxe). Trust me, you get a smoker and soon you'll have the neighbors knockin' on your door asking if you have something going in the smoker and what time is dinner. I have gotten more than a few people hooked on it. I owe it all to these guys. Like they said, get to Cattle Call and start browsing the site. Oh...one thing....watch out for tk, mary, racer, and the others that will teach you things like the fine art of hijacking. Stick around and you'll find out soon enough.

417bullelk said:
Trust me, you get a smoker and soon you'll have the neighbors knockin' on your door asking if you have something going in the smoker and what time is dinner. I have gotten more than a few people hooked on it.

I can attest to this. My neighbor came over when I was just seasoning my Bandera. All I was cooking was Crisco. Get yourself a smoker of your choosing eel and report back.

Eel,

Bro, this is the place to ask all your questions. A lot of them have already been asked and answered so be sure and use the search capability to its full potential. Not to say we don't like to cuss and discuss something more than once... :p

I'm sure the latest rendition of the Bandera will give you years of good Q, it just may not be quite as good as the older models. That factor should not stand between you and buying a unit! The BKSD, as the others said, is just a bass-ackwards 'Dera, and it gives great results. Go forth and buy some black iron!

As far as hating newbies go...rubbish. Newbies are fine, as long as you don't keep them in the foil too long... :twisted:

Arlin

Welcome to the brethren! Hey, I have only been here since August myself when I picked up my Bandera. I have a Spicewine firebox so I can attest that it is definitely worth getting. These guys love newbies - for breakfast, mid-morning snack, slow smoked (err just kidding here!) They are more than willing to help with any questions you have.

Hey - we were all newbies once. Jump on in and post away. It's the only way to loose your newbie status. Most of the regulars here are cyber mentors. Crusty and upitty at times, but still mentors. Ask away.

eel - welome and ask away, but don't listen when they start talking about foil. It's a terrible habit to get hooked-on. It's tempting, but learn the skills of temperature and time management before crossing over to the foil-side.

RichardF said:
eel - welome and ask away, but don't listen when they start talking about foil. It's a terrible habit to get hooked-on. It's tempting, but learn the skills of temperature and time management before crossing over to the foil-side.

And Mayo. Don't talk about mayonnaise around Richard either. :twisted:

Welcome! This is by far the best site to learn about anything having to do with the fine art of BBQ! Don't be afraid to ask about anything having to do with BBQ...The people here are great about sharing.

Newbie here myself. Just saw the Charbroil Bandera at HD for 259. I have a Black Diamond and El Dorado. This Bandera did not appear to have the same quality as the other two original NB products. Metal seemed a bit thinner or something. Just doesn't seem the same. Costco has the bskd for 399 delivered. Seems old opinion was the NB Bandera was better than the skd. Anyone have any opinions on the new Bandera vs. the skd? 140 difference seems quite a bit for similar items.

this mans opinion??? .. charbroil bandera is not as good as bksd. Cheesy workmanship.. BUT.. if u can dig up a New Braunfels Bandera, its the good one.

Bryce, I haven't seen new models since last season but the basic difference were, the Brinkmann had a nicer fold down shelf, better water pan setup, slightly better wheel attachment, and full depth shelf supports that keep the shelves from being less tippy when pulled partially out.

The Charbroil has a more user friendly firebox with cooking tabs that can also serve to raise the firegrate, a necessary mod on either model.

I would agree that there isn't much difference between the two, probably not $140 worth. On the other hand the Brinkmann does have some advantages so if you get it cheaper either by price matching or buying a demo or picking it up yourself, it's worth checking in to.

Also, post #20 in the roadmap has a side by side comparison between the 2(that KC did).

Thanks Phil. Seems you do get what you pay for. Looks like laments for the passing of New Braunfels. I will order the Brinkmann.

bbqpigskin said:
Welcome! This is by far the best site to learn about anything having to do with the fine art of BBQ! Don't be afraid to ask about anything having to do with BBQ...The people here are great about sharing.

I agree.. I have the NB/Charbroil.. and it is my first of what I hope to have many more pits.... I didn't want to put forth the bucks until I ruined this one on all my mistakes, but with these guys taking my crazy questions, esp. frognot... I haven't messed it up at all and I have had the neighbors over knocking....

Happy Queing

As posted earlier today, I'm the proud owner of a new SKD. I've sealed the upright door gaps w/the silicon gasket (I forget the brand, but it's the one in the caulk-like packaging), but the smoke box itself has 3 openings that allow air at the corners. This allows air in when I'm trying to put the fire out by closing every other opening. What do I use to seal those holes, the same gasket material? Graphite?

Also, should I seal the smokebox seam as well? I didn't see any mention of either in the files section, so I'm presuming this is new to the SKD...

Back